From: Jay on
I'm looking at the linked server configuration and am stuck on a why
question.

When configuring, if you want a remote user to be able to use the indexes on
the server being configured, you must explicitly state so. The default is
that remote users will not be able to use the indexes.

Why on earth would you not want ANY user, let alone a remote user, to be
able to use the indexes? After all, the indexes were put there to be used
and improve performance.

If anything, I would expect it to default to yes.

From: TheSQLGuru on
Can you please explain exactly what it is that makes you believe you need to
configure something to allow remote users to use indexes??

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: Jay on
It was in the instruction material on SkillSoft and I don't have a second
server available to me to check anything. However, they were quite specific
about 2005 needing that to be set.

Can I assume that you think it's as dumb as I do?

From: Jay on
OK, I found it in my 2008.

In MS, expand Server Objects/Linked Servers/Providers. Right click on any
provider and select properties.

Among the options is: "Index as Access Path", which is defined as:

"Index as access path
If nonzero, SQL Server attempts to use indexes of the provider to fetch
data. By default, indexes are used only for metadata and are never opened"

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v10/MS.SQLSVR.v10.en/s10de_5techref/html/a2e7ba18-1a38-433c-aa63-8f75909e09dc.htm

This doesn't make sense.

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
You might want to have a look at these:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa172718(SQL.80).aspx

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.data.oledb/browse_frm/thread/6ceeafc2faa35d9/257021f6aebd9e23?tvc=1&q=group%3Amicrosoft.public.data.oledb+author%3AErland+author%3ASommarskog&hl=sv#257021f6aebd9e23

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

> OK, I found it in my 2008.
>
> In MS, expand Server Objects/Linked Servers/Providers. Right click on any
> provider and select properties.
>
> Among the options is: "Index as Access Path", which is defined as:
>
> "Index as access path
> If nonzero, SQL Server attempts to use indexes of the provider to fetch
> data. By default, indexes are used only for metadata and are never opened"
>
> ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v10/MS.SQLSVR.v10.en/s10de_5techref/html/a2e7ba18-1a38-433c-aa63-8f75909e09dc.htm
>
> This doesn't make sense.
>
> "TheSQLGuru" <kgboles(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Can you please explain exactly what it is that makes you believe you need
>> to configure something to allow remote users to use indexes??
>>
>> --
>> Kevin G. Boles
>> Indicium Resources, Inc.
>> SQL Server MVP
>> kgboles a earthlink dt net
>>

>> "Jay" <spam(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
>>> I'm looking at the linked server configuration and am stuck on a why
>>> question.
>>>
>>> When configuring, if you want a remote user to be able to use the
>>> indexes on the server being configured, you must explicitly state so.
>>> The default is that remote users will not be able to use the indexes.
>>>
>>> Why on earth would you not want ANY user, let alone a remote user, to be
>>> able to use the indexes? After all, the indexes were put there to be
>>> used and improve performance.
>>>
>>> If anything, I would expect it to default to yes.
>>>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: SQL-2K and TCPIP 6
Next: Taking database offline