From: TheScullster on
Hi all

Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on access
2003 and 2007.
I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
the original backend.
Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating another
backend database with the original tables linked to the new backend.
Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
linked tables in the old back end.
Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?

TIA

Phil

From: PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com on
TheScullster wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on access
>2003 and 2007.
>I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
>the original backend.
>Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating another
>backend database with the original tables linked to the new backend.
>Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
>linked tables in the old back end.
>Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?
>
>TIA
>
>Phil

You mean you want to link to a database that has no tables in it, only links
to tables? I don't know if that would even work... and even if it did, why
would you even want to do something like that? Is this a security by
obscurity thing? Those are seldom a good idea.

From: John Spencer on
As far as I know, you can't set up a link to a linked table.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

From: Jeff Boyce on
Phil

Define "disturbing" ...

Why not simply create your new front-end and link to the tables you need to
see?

What is it that you're concerned about happening?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

From: Dirk Goldgar on
"TheScullster" <phil(a)dropthespam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Currently we have an access 2000 backend database with front ends on
> access 2003 and 2007.
> I am looking at creating a database which references some of the tables in
> the original backend.
> Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating
> another backend database with the original tables linked to the new
> backend.
> Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the
> linked tables in the old back end.
> Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?

You can have a front-end with some of its tables linked to the old back-end,
and some of them linked to the new back-end.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)