From: Fsb on
I have an odd problem.

I created a linked server from a 2008 box to a 2005 box with the sa account.

I have a windows account that is part of the sysadmin role but cant I cant
query or expand the linked server to see alll it tables. but under the sa
account I can.

what am i missing?

From: Steen Schl�ter Persson on
I don't think you problem is odd..:-).

You'll have to tell the linked server to use windows authentication. You'll
have to set up delegation between the servers and that's something you'll
have to do in your AD.

Try to look up "Configuring Linked Servers for delegation" in BOL - that
will get you started.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189580(SQL.90).aspx (2005)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189580.aspx (2008)

--
Regards
Steen Schl�ter Persson (DK)

From: Fsb on
Why could i not just select the option to "be made using the security
context"

and use the sa for the server im trying to connect to?

I can conect the using the sa accout the other way around (i.e 2005to 2008)
but it does not work from 2008 to 2005.

From: Steen Schl�ter Persson on
I'm not wuite sure that I get what you mean. Are you connecting using a SQL
account or a Windows account? Using a SQL account, you'll have to specify
this account when setting up the linked server - and on both servers. If you
want to connect to the linked server with you windows account, you'll have
to setup delegation and SPN etc. as outlined in the links I sent you.
Personally I've in most cases used SQL authentication when using linked
servers because that's the easiest to get working - and then you don't have
to set any SPN's or delegation etc.

I have to say though that I haven't setup linked server on SQL2008 yet, so I
can't say if something has changed here.

From: Fsb on
Also,

I can do it from the 2008 server box but not from a local pc