From: mckoss on
My router has been crashing very consistently and I'm wondering if
anyone else has seen this problem? One thing I've seen is that the
http administration stops responding (can long longer connect to
http://192.168.1.1) before the router stops completely (stops
responding to pings on the LAN, and no longer connects to the
internet).

I've tried upgrading to the latest Firmware from the linksys site
(1.52.18 is the current version) - but I'm still having problems.

I do note that I receive a lot of outside requests to ports 1026 and
1027 from domains in China. Looks to me like (very common) MSN
Messenger probes/attacks. But I don't know if these are the cause of
the router failing.

I also see Invalid TCP packets in the Security log that are being
identified to the Google Talk service (which I am using on several of
the machines on my LAN).

Sigh. Anyone want to suggest a more reliable home firewall?

- Mike

From: Sebastian Gottschalk on
mckoss(a)gmail.com wrote:
> I do note that I receive a lot of outside requests to ports 1026 and
> 1027 from domains in China. Looks to me like (very common) MSN
> Messenger probes/attacks.

NetDDE Messaging != MSN Messenger

Beside that, today at lot of these requests rather address formerly
vulnerable RPC services like Task Scheduler.

> Sigh. Anyone want to suggest a more reliable home firewall?

Huh? I though you'd be using a router as a router. No need for
firewalling for a home user environment.

Anyway, Linksys products are well known for having excellent alternative
firmwares which are more reliable. As you already upgraded the firmware,
the warranty is gone anyway.
From: mckoss on
I use the BEFSX41 purely as a firewall. I have a separate router (much
larger) for my home.

From: mckoss on
Thanks for the advice on the firmware. I was mistaken before, I was in
fact using 1.52.10 (I had previously been using 1.50.18 and I tried to
upgrade to Linksys's latest firmware to see if that would fix my
problem - it did not).

So I reverted to the v1.45.7, Dec 30 2003 version. I could not find
this version on the Linksys website - so I got it from here:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,9086151

There is discussion of the most stable firmware version (from Jan
2003!) here:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11329487~mode=flat

They also suggest 1.45.7 (or 1.51.0 - with the new UI).

I will also send a note to Linksys tech support to see if they will
address this issue. Version 1.52.10 has some serious problems - most
commonly the http interface would crash and the firewall becomes
unmanagable w/o power cycling to bring it back up.

For reference, the 1.52.10 download page is at:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115417109974&packedargs=sku%3D1115416832406&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

- Mike
http://bluedot.us/users/mike?st=tag%3alinksys

From: mckoss on
I sent this to Linksys:

I have been having my firewall crash frequently. I was using firmware
1.50.18. So I tired the latest version posted to your web site
(1.52.10). Seems WORSE, not better. In particular, the web interface
to manage the router crashes within just a few minutes of
power-cycling. And occasionally I can't even PING the router anymore
and also loose connectivity to the WAN.

I started a thread on comp.security.firewalls:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.security.firewalls/browse_thread/thread/02cce228563c138d/705c929a44d80cf8#705c929a44d80cf8

Where it was suggested that I revert to the 2003 version 1.45.7. I am
trying that now and hope to crash less. But I would like to use the
most recent version of the firmware if you can get the bugs fixed.