From: Nick Piggin on
On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:05:42AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:24:28AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > .36. I'd much rather see the inode_lock scaling or the lockless path
> > walk going in before, but I haven't checked how complicated the
> > reordering would be. The lockless path walk also is only rather
> > theoretically useful until we do ACL checks lockless as we're having
> > ACLs enabled pretty much everywhere at least in the distros.
>
> >From a quick look it seems like the inode_lock splitup can easily
> be moved forward, and it would help us with doing some work on the
> writeback side. The problem is that it would need rebasing ontop
> of both the vfs and writeback (aka block) trees.

inode_lock splitup is much simpler than dcache_lock, yes.

And I have to rebase it on the work currently queued for 2.6.35
anyway, so that's no problem. I can easily put it in front of
dcache_lock patches in the series (as I said, I've kept everything
independent and well split up).

I do want opinions on how to do the big-picture merge, though,
before I start moving things around. And obviously reviewing
each of the parts is more important at this point than exact
way to order the thing.

But even the inode_lock patches I am wary of merging in 2.6.36
without having much review or any linux-next / vfs-tree exposure.

From: Bjorn Helgaas on
On Sunday, August 01, 2010 10:21:16 pm Donald Parsons wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 21:38 -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > On Sunday, August 01, 2010 08:31:02 pm Donald Parsons wrote:
> > > 2.6.35 still fails to boot for me, as first reported here:
> > > http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1007.3/01144.html
> > >
> > > I've manually bisected it down to around May 20 between
> > > 2.6.34-git4 (boots) and 2.6.34-git5 (boot fails)
> > > Also -git[23] boot, and -git8, -rc[126], rc6-git[136] all fail.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately first time I tried was with 2.6.35-rc6 and
> > > it failed to boot.
> > >
> > > Failure when switching from initramfs to real /root?
> > > Removing kernel "quiet" param appears to show several
> > > lines listing:
> > >
> > > usb drives/hubs? followed by
> > > dracut switching root (when booting works)
> > > or
> > > usb drives/hubs? followed by
> > > (missing dracut... line)
> > > No root device found
> > > Boot has failed, sleeping forever. (when it does not boot)
> > >
> > > Grub, typical entry:
> > > title Fedora (2.6.35)
> > > root (hd0,0)
> > > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35 ro
> > > root=UUID=686dc496-8814-4c36-8fb7-5ded2916e825 rhgb
> > > SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=us
> > > rdblacklist=nouveau init=/sbin/bootchartd
> > > initrd /initramfs-2.6.35.img
> > >

> > > My boot failure seems to be different than other two reported
> > > in the thread "2.6.35-rc6-git6: Reported regressions from 2.6.34"
> > > under Bug #16173 and #16228
> >
> > Will it boot with the "pci=nocrs" option? If so, please open a
>
> No, I tried this on a few attempts when I saw it mentioned under
> bug #16228. But it had no effect/benefit. Sorry, I should have
> mentioned this.
>
> > report at https://bugzilla.kernel.org, mark it a regression, assign
> > it to me, and attach the complete dmesg log. And please respond to
> > this thread with a pointer to the bugzilla.
> >
> > Otherwise, a complete console log should have a clue. The best
> > thing would be a log from a serial console or netconsole, with
> > "ignore_loglevel".
>
> Maybe I will try netconsole tomorrow. But is Ethernet up when
> this boot failure happens? I think not, since initramfs should
> not need networking.

Netconsole has special kernel support that doesn't require the normal
networking stack to be configured, so it works quite early. You
would want to build your networking driver into the kernel for the
most benefit.

If that doesn't work, you could try capturing the log on VGA with a
digital camera or video camera, possibly with "boot_delay=" to
slow things down.

> Should I try building sata driver into kernel?

I doubt that will make a difference. It seems like the problem
is that we don't find your root filesystem, probably because there's
something wrong with the HBA leading to that device. For example,
maybe the PCI core mistakenly moved or disabled the adapter, or
there's some problem with its interrupt.

Bjorn
From: Harald Hoyer on
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 6:21 AM, Donald Parsons <dparsons(a)brightdsl.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 21:38 -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>> On Sunday, August 01, 2010 08:31:02 pm Donald Parsons wrote:
>> > 2.6.35 still fails to boot for me, as first reported here:
>> > �http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1007.3/01144.html
>> >
>> > I've manually bisected it down to around May 20 between
>> > � 2.6.34-git4 (boots) and 2.6.34-git5 (boot fails)
>> > Also -git[23] boot, and -git8, -rc[126], rc6-git[136] all fail.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately first time I tried was with 2.6.35-rc6 and
>> > it failed to boot.
>> >
>> > Failure when switching from initramfs to real /root?
>> > Removing kernel "quiet" param appears to show several
>> > lines listing:
>> >
>> > � usb drives/hubs? followed by
>> > � dracut switching root (when booting works)
>> > � � � � � � � or
>> > � usb drives/hubs? followed by
>> > � � � � (missing dracut... line)
>> > � No root device found
>> > � Boot has failed, sleeping forever. � (when it does not boot)
>> >
>> > Grub, typical entry:
>> > title Fedora (2.6.35)
>> > � � root (hd0,0)
>> > � � kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35 ro
>> > root=UUID=686dc496-8814-4c36-8fb7-5ded2916e825 rhgb
>> > SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=us
>> > rdblacklist=nouveau init=/sbin/bootchartd
>> > � � initrd /initramfs-2.6.35.img
>> >

>> > My boot failure seems to be different than other two reported
>> > in the thread "2.6.35-rc6-git6: Reported regressions from 2.6.34"
>> > under Bug #16173 and #16228
>>
>> Will it boot with the "pci=nocrs" option? �If so, please open a
>
> No, I tried this on a few attempts when I saw it mentioned under
> bug #16228. �But it had no effect/benefit. �Sorry, I should have
> mentioned this.
>
>> report at https://bugzilla.kernel.org, mark it a regression, assign
>> it to me, and attach the complete dmesg log. �And please respond to
>> this thread with a pointer to the bugzilla.
>>
>> Otherwise, a complete console log should have a clue. �The best
>> thing would be a log from a serial console or netconsole, with
>> "ignore_loglevel".
>
> Maybe I will try netconsole tomorrow. �But is Ethernet up when
> this boot failure happens? �I think not, since initramfs should
> not need networking.
>
> Should I try building sata driver into kernel? �Oh, I am using
> ext3, and fdisk -l shows:

# dracut --add-drivers "sata" ....

or edit /etc/dracut.conf:

add_drivers+=" sata "
From: Harald Hoyer on
Dracut does not include the SATA module by default. Either force
dracut to include the module in the initramfs, or use build it in the
Kernel.

From: Donald Parsons on
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 07:48 -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> Netconsole has special kernel support that doesn't require the normal
> networking stack to be configured, so it works quite early. You
> would want to build your networking driver into the kernel for the
> most benefit.

I compiled network module sky2 and netconsole into kernel 2.6.35.

Inserted into kernel line:
"debug netconsole=192.168.1.10/eth0,192.168.1.5/00:11:25:aa:79:f7"

and ran on a laptop the cmd: "nc -l -u 6666"
using all default ports if I read documentation correctly.

This failed to show any output at all.

> If that doesn't work, you could try capturing the log on VGA with a
> digital camera or video camera, possibly with "boot_delay=" to
> slow things down.

What or how much do you want shot with my digital camera? I see
maybe 3 or 4 screens fulls go by to where boot fails.

I added "boot_delay=15" for next boot.

> > Should I try building sata driver into kernel?

I think it is already in kernel, since no sata modules load
in a booting kernel (assuming sata is part of module name).

> I doubt that will make a difference. It seems like the problem
> is that we don't find your root filesystem, probably because there's
> something wrong with the HBA leading to that device. For example,
> maybe the PCI core mistakenly moved or disabled the adapter, or
> there's some problem with its interrupt.

I only see one sata compiled into kernel: CONFIG_SATA_PMP=y
and I also see no sata's loaded with lsmod in a working
kernel (2.6.34.1).

I am going to rebuild again with CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
instead of =m as it is Fedora's config (do not know how
it got changed). These modules are loaded in 2.6.34.1:

#lsmod | egrep "ata|ahci"
ata_generic 3427 0
pata_acpi 3227 0
pata_jmicron 2547 0
ahci 35887 4
libata 157450 4 ata_generic,pata_acpi,pata_jmicron,ahci
scsi_mod 147895 5 sg,sr_mod,usb_storage,sd_mod,libata

Thanks,
Don