From: Linus Torvalds on
So I said -rc6 would likely be the last -rc, and nothing happened to
change my mind. I'd always be happier if it had been an even quieter
week, but the appended Shortlog of changes since rc6 doesn't contain
anything earthshaking, and I don't think we'd have been any better off
by another rc, and waiting one more week. So 2.6.35 is out, go check
it out.

This may have been a fairly odd release cycle with my rather strict
-rc rules before -rc3, but on the whole I think I liked it, and it
seems to have worked out ok. I relaxed my extreme stance after getting
back from vacation, so the latter half of the rc series was more
normal. But even then I got the feeling that people were perhaps a bit
more aware of the whole "regression fixes only" model, which is all
good. It's a bit hard to judge, but there are some numbers to back it
up: in the 2.6.34 release, there were 3800 commits after -rc1, but in
the current 35 release cycle we had less than 2000.

Now, admittedly 34 was worse than average in that respect (3800
commits is a _lot_ of work after -rc1), but git history says that at
least going back to 2.6.24, we've never had less than 2000 commits
after -rc1 before now. They tend to be in the 2700-3200 commit range.
So I do think we really did have a lot less churn than usual
post-merge-window. And that's good.

So I'd like to try to repeat the experiment for the next release
cycle, and be pretty hardnosed about taking patches and git pull
requests after the merge window closes.

Talking about the next merge window: Andrew Morton was pretty unhappy
with the stability of linux-next at least a couple of weeks ago. It's
what he bases his -mm trees on, and so an unstable linux-next makes it
hard for Andrew to get his work done. It also makes me worried,
because a lot of people seem to think that "it's been in linux-next
for several months" means that something can and should be merged. And
if linux-next ends up being really flaky, that clearly cannot be the
case.

So guys - please don't treat linux-next as a dumping ground. Things
that go in there should be more or less ready for merging (with an
emphasis on "more"), and we need to keep that tree in working order.
If you're nervous about the stability of your work, you should just
admit that it's not ready to be merged, shouldn't go in the next
release cycle, and shouldn't be in linux-next yet and make life harder
for people like Andrew - or for the other more careful linux-next
submitters.

On a slightly happier note: one thing I do hope we can merge in the
upcoming merge window is Nick Piggin's cool VFS scalability series.
I've been using it on my own machine, and gone through all the commits
(not that I shouldn't go through some of them some more), and am
personally really excited about it. It's seldom we see major
performance improvements in core code that are quite that noticeable,
and Nick's whole RCU pathname lookup in particular just tickles me
pink.

Anything else? I'm sure there's tons of things I should say about what
went into 2.6.35, but as usual there are already better writeups about
what has changed. Things like the kernelnewbies pages etc. So head off

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_35

for some overviews of the things that changed this time around. Or
just download the kernel from the regular places, and give it a test.

Linus

---
Adam Jackson (2):
drm/i915: Make G4X-style PLL search more permissive
drm/edid: Fix the HDTV hack sync adjustment

Adam Lackorzynski (1):
x86, i8259: Only register sysdev if we have a real 8259 PIC

Alex Chiang (1):
ACPI: processor: fix processor_physically_present on UP

Alexey Shvetsov (1):
wimax/i2400m: Add PID & VID for Intel WiMAX 6250

Andre Osterhues (1):
ecryptfs: Bugfix for error related to ecryptfs_hash_buckets

Andrea Shepard (1):
net: Fix corruption of skb csum field in pskb_expand_head() of
net/core/skbuff.c

Andrej Gelenberg (1):
[CPUFREQ] revert "[CPUFREQ] remove rwsem lock from
CPUFREQ_GOV_STOP call (second call site)"

Andrew Bird (1):
USB: New PIDs for Qualcomm gobi 2000 (qcserial)

Andy Gospodarek (1):
ixgbe/igb: catch invalid VF settings

Anton Blanchard (2):
powerpc/mm: Handle hypervisor pte insert failure in __hash_page_huge
[SCSI] ibmvscsi: Fix oops when an interrupt is pending during probe

Anton Vorontsov (1):
edac: mpc85xx: fix coldplug/hotplug module autoloading

Anuj Aggarwal (1):
regulator: tps6507x: allow driver to use DEFDCDC{2,3}_HIGH register

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (1):
perf annotate: Fix handling of goto labels that are valid hex numbers

Avi Kivity (1):
KVM: Use kmalloc() instead of vmalloc() for KVM_[GS]ET_MSR

Axel Lin (2):
ab3100: fix off-by-one value range checking for voltage selector
wm8350-regulator: fix wm8350_register_regulator error handling

Ben Greear (1):
net: dev_forward_skb should call nf_reset

Ben Hutchings (1):
MIPS: Set io_map_base for several PCI bridges lacking it

Benjamin Herrenschmidt (4):
powerpc/mm: Move around testing of _PAGE_PRESENT in hash code
powerpc/mm: Fix bugs in huge page hashing
powerpc/mm: Add some debug output when hash insertion fails
powerpc: Fix erroneous lmb->memblock conversions

Bob Copeland (1):
USB: usb-storage: fix initializations of urb fields

Borislav Petkov (1):
[CPUFREQ] powernow-k8: Limit Pstate transition latency check

Breno Leitao (1):
s2io: fixing DBG_PRINT() macro

Brian Haley (1):
ipv6: Don't add routes to ipv6 disabled interfaces.

Bruno Randolf (1):
MIPS: MTX-1: Fix PCI on the MeshCube and related boards

Catalin Marinas (3):
ARM: 6271/1: Introduce *_relaxed() I/O accessors
ARM: 6272/1: Convert L2x0 to use the IO relaxed operations
ARM: 6273/1: Add barriers to the I/O accessors if ARM_DMA_MEM_BUFFERABLE

Chris Wilson (4):
drm/i915: Explosion following OOM in do_execbuffer.
drm/i915: Clear any existing dither mode prior to enabling
spatial dithering
drm/i915: Use the correct scanout alignment for fbcon.
drm/i915: Fix panel fitting regression since 734b4157

Christof Schmitt (2):
[SCSI] zfcp: Do not wait for SBALs on stopped queue
[SCSI] zfcp: Update status read mempool

Colin Leitner (1):
USB: ftdi_sio: support for Signalyzer tools based on FTDI chips

Conny Seidel (1):
perf tools: Fix fallback to cplus_demangle() when bfd_demangle()
is not available

Corey Minyard (1):
USB: FTDI: Add support for the RT System VX-7 radio programming cable

Dan Carpenter (1):
nfs: include space for the NUL in root path

Daniel J Blueman (3):
quiesce EDAC initialisation on desktop/mobile i7
[CPUFREQ] fix double freeing in error path of pcc-cpufreq
drm/radeon/kms: fix radeon mid power profile reporting

David Daney (3):
MIPS: "Fix" useless 'init_vdso successfully' message.
MIPS: Make init_vdso a subsys_initcall.
MIPS: Quit using undefined behavior of ADDU in 64-bit atomic operations.

David Howells (3):
CRED: Fix get_task_cred() and task_state() to not resurrect dead
credentials
CRED: Fix __task_cred()'s lockdep check and banner comment
CIFS: Remove __exit mark from cifs_exit_dns_resolver()

David S. Miller (1):
net: Fix skb_copy_expand() handling of ->csum_start

David VomLehn (1):
MIPS: PowerTV: Move register setup to before reading registers.

Dennis Jansen (1):
USB: option: Add support for AMOI Skypephone S2

Dmitry Torokhov (1):
Input: RX51 keymap - fix recent compile breakage

Eric Miao (3):
[ARM] pxa/corgi: fix MMC/SD card detection failure
[ARM] pxa: fix incorrect order of AC97 reset pin configs
[ARM] pxa: fix incorrect CONFIG_CPU_PXA27x to CONFIG_PXA27x

Eric W. Biederman (4):
Driver-core: Always create class directories for classses that
support namespaces.
sysfs: Don't allow the creation of symlinks we can't remove
sysfs: sysfs_delete_link handle symlinks from untagged to tagged
directories.
sysfs: allow creating symlinks from untagged to tagged directories

Felipe Balbi (1):
USB: musb: tusb6010: fix compile error with n8x0_defconfig

Florian Fainelli (1):
MIPS: BCM63xx: Prevent second enet registration on BCM6338

Frederic Weisbecker (1):
perf: Fix various display bugs with parent filtering

Gary King (1):
ARM: 6279/1: highmem: fix SMP preemption bug in kmap_high_l1_vipt

Greg Edwards (1):
bonding: set device in RLB ARP packet handler

Gui Jianfeng (1):
perf symbols: Fix directory descriptor leaking

Heiko Carstens (1):
[S390] Fix IRQ tracing in case of PER

Herbert Xu (1):
macvtap: Limit packet queue length

Hugh Dickins (1):
mm: fix ia64 crash when gcore reads gate area

Jason Baron (1):
dynamic debug: move ddebug_remove_module() down into free_module()

Jason Wessel (1):
x86,kgdb: Fix hw breakpoint regression

Jeremy Kerr (5):
ARM: 6258/1: arm/h720x: fix debug macro compilation failure
ARM: 6259/1: arm/ns9xxx: fix debug macro compilation failure
ARM: 6260/1: arm/plat-spear: fix debug macro compilation failure
ARM: 6261/1: arm/shark: fix debug macro compilation failure
ARM: 6262/1: arm/clps711x: fix debug macro compilation failure

Jesse Barnes (8):
drm/i915: handle shared framebuffers when flipping
drm/i915: add PANEL_UNLOCK_REGS definition
drm/i915: make sure eDP panel is turned on
drm/i915: disable FBC when more than one pipe is active
drm/i915: don't free non-existent compressed llb on ILK+
drm/i915: fix deadlock in fb teardown
drm/i915: add pipe A force quirks to i915 driver
drm/i915: make sure we shut off the panel in eDP configs

John W. Linville (1):
wireless: use netif_rx_ni in ieee80211_send_layer2_update

Jon Povey (1):
gpio: fix spurious printk when freeing a gpio

Julia Lawall (1):
SA1111: Eliminate use after free

KOSAKI Motohiro (1):
ACPI: fix unused function warning

Kumar Gala (1):
powerpc/kexec: Fix boundary case for book-e kexec memory limits

Latchesar Ionkov (1):
9p: Pass the correct end of buffer to p9stat_read

Len Brown (3):
ACPI: handle systems which asynchoronously enable ACPI mode
ACPI: skip checking BM_STS if the BIOS doesn't ask for it
ACPI: create "processor.bm_check_disable" boot param

Linus Torvalds (1):
Linux 2.6.35

Magnus Damm (1):
ARM: 6270/1: clean files in arch/arm/boot/compressed/

Marek Vasut (2):
[ARM] pxa: cpufreq-pxa2xx: fix DRI recomputation routine
[ARM] pxa: fix frequency scaling for pcmcia/pxa2xx_base

Martin Schwidefsky (1):
[S390] etr: fix clock synchronization race

Matthew Garrett (2):
[CPUFREQ] pcc driver should check for pcch method before calling _OSC
[CPUFREQ] Fix PCC driver error path

Michael S. Tsirkin (2):
tun: avoid BUG, dump packet on GSO errors
virtio: fix oops on OOM

Michal Marek (1):
kbuild: Fix make rpm

Michał Górny (1):
kbuild: Make the setlocalversion script POSIX-compliant

Ming Lei (1):
ath9k: fix dma direction for map/unmap in ath_rx_tasklet

Nik A. Melchior (1):
ACPI video: fix string mismatch for Sony SR290 laptop

Oliver Neukum (2):
USB: sisusbvga: Fix for USB 3.0
USB: add quirk for Broadcom BT dongle

Ondrej Zary (2):
cyber2000fb: fix machine hang on module load
cyber2000fb: fix console in truecolor modes

Paul Mortier (1):
USB: adds Artisman USB dongle to list of quirky devices

Peter Huewe (2):
ds2782_battery: Rename get_current to fix build failure / name conflict
serial: fix rs485 for atmel_serial on avr32

Peter Zijlstra (1):
perf, powerpc: Use perf_sample_data_init() for the FSL code

Przemo Firszt (1):
USB: Expose vendor-specific ACM channel on Nokia 5230

Rabin Vincent (1):
ARM: 6275/1: ux500: don't use writeb() in uncompress.h

Rafael J. Wysocki (1):
ACPI / Sleep: Allow the NVS saving to be skipped during suspend to RAM

Rajiv Andrade (1):
tpm_tis: fix subsequent suspend failures

Ralf Baechle (7):
VIDEO. gbefb: Fix section mismatches.
NET: declance: Fix section mismatches
VIDEO: PMAG-BA: Fix section mismatch
VIDEO: PMAGB-B: Fix section mismatch
VIDEO: Au1100fb: Fix section mismatch
SOUND: Au1000: Fix section mismatch
MIPS: N32: Define getdents64.

Robert P. J. Day (1):
ceph: Correct obvious typo of Kconfig variable "CRYPTO_AES"

Rudolf Marek (1):
drivers/rtc/rtc-rx8581.c: fix setdatetime

Russell King (3):
ARM: Fix csum_partial_copy_from_user()
ARM: Add barriers to io{read,write}{8,16,32} accessors as well
ARM: Fix Versatile/Realview/VExpress MMC card detection sense

Sage Weil (5):
ceph: avoid dcache readdir for snapdir
ceph: fix d_release dop for snapdir, snapped dentries
ceph: fix pg_mapping leak on pg_temp updates
ceph: fix leak of dentry in ceph_init_dentry() error path
ceph: fix dentry lease release

Sam Ravnborg (2):
tracing: Properly align linker defined symbols
vmlinux.lds: fix .data..init_task output section (fix popwerpc boot)

Sarah Sharp (4):
USB: xHCI: Fix another bug in link TRB activation change.
USB: Fix USB3.0 Port Speed Downgrade after port reset
USB: xhci: Set EP0 dequeue ptr after reset of configured device.
USB: xhci: Set Mult field in endpoint context correctly.

Sekhar Nori (1):
davinci: da850/omap-l138 evm: account for DEFDCDC{2,3} being tied high

Stefano Stabellini (1):
x86: Do not try to disable hpet if it hasn't been initialized before

Stephen Boyd (1):
nconfig: Fix segfault when help contains special characters

Steven Whitehouse (1):
GFS2: Use kmalloc when possible for ->readdir()

Swen Schillig (1):
[SCSI] zfcp: Fix check whether unchained ct_els is possible

Takashi Iwai (4):
ALSA: hda - Fix pin-detection of Nvidia HDMI
ALSA: hda - Don't register beep input device when no beep is available
ALSA: hda - Assume PC-beep as default for Realtek
ALSA: hda - Add a PC-beep workaround for ASUS P5-V

Thomas Bächler (1):
gpu/drm/i915: Add a blacklist to omit modeset on LID open

Tim Gardner (1):
agp/intel: Use the correct mask to detect i830 aperture size.

Trond Myklebust (3):
NFS: kswapd must not block in nfs_release_page
NFS: Ensure that writepage respects the nonblock flag
NFS: Fix a typo in include/linux/nfs_fs.h

Uwe Kleine-König (2):
ARM: 6263/1: ns9xxx: fix FTBFS for zImage
ARM: 6265/1: kirkwood: move qnap_tsx1x_register_flash() to .init.text

Vladimir Zapolskiy (1):
USB: s3c2410_udc: be aware of connected gadget driver

Vladislav Zolotarov (3):
bnx2x: Protect a SM state change
bnx2x: Protect statistics ramrod and sequence number
bnx2x: Advance a module version

Wayne Boyer (1):
[SCSI] ipr: fix resource path display and formatting

Wim Van Sebroeck (1):
watchdog: update MAINTAINERS entry

Wolfgang Grandegger (1):
MIPS: Alchemy: Define eth platform devices in the correct order

Xiao Guangrong (1):
KVM: MMU: fix conflict access permissions in direct sp

Xiaotian Feng (1):
[CPUFREQ] fix memory leak in cpufreq_add_dev

Yehuda Sadeh (1):
ceph: use complete_all and wake_up_all

Zhang Rui (1):
ACPI battery: don't invoke power_supply_changed twice when
battery is hot-added

august huber (1):
USB: Add PID for Sierra 250U to drivers/usb/serial/sierra.c

pieterg (1):
[ARM] pxa/colibri-pxa300: fix AC97 init

stephen hemminger (1):
net sched: fix race in mirred device removal

wanzongshun (2):
ARM: 6230/1: fix nuc900 touchscreen clk definition bug
ARM: 6233/1: Delete a wrong redundant right parenthesis

Ömer Sezgin Ugurlu (1):
USB: option: add support for 1da5:4518
From: Stephen Rothwell on
Hi all,

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:52:42 -0700 Linus Torvalds <torvalds(a)linux-foundation..org> wrote:

> On a slightly happier note: one thing I do hope we can merge in the
> upcoming merge window is Nick Piggin's cool VFS scalability series.
> I've been using it on my own machine, and gone through all the commits
> (not that I shouldn't go through some of them some more), and am
> personally really excited about it. It's seldom we see major
> performance improvements in core code that are quite that noticeable,
> and Nick's whole RCU pathname lookup in particular just tickles me
> pink.

To that end, Nick, can you please submit that tree for inclusion in
linux-next in case there are some interactions with some of the other
stuff there? (or send it all to Al, instead (or both), I guess.)

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr(a)canb.auug.org.au
From: Dave Chinner on
On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 04:52:42PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On a slightly happier note: one thing I do hope we can merge in the
> upcoming merge window is Nick Piggin's cool VFS scalability series.
> I've been using it on my own machine, and gone through all the commits
> (not that I shouldn't go through some of them some more), and am
> personally really excited about it. It's seldom we see major
> performance improvements in core code that are quite that noticeable,
> and Nick's whole RCU pathname lookup in particular just tickles me
> pink.

There hasn't been nearly enough review or testing of this patch
series yet. Before a merge, it needs to be split up in smaller,
more digestable chunks for more comprehensive review, regression
testing and behavioural analysis.

There's probably only a handful of people who have done any testing
on the patchset so far, and given the widespread changes it needs a
lot more testing than this before we should consider merging any of
it.

I really want to see this move forward too, but it changes lots of
critical infrastructure in subtle ways and so, IMO, this is not
a patchset we should be gung-ho about.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david(a)fromorbit.com
From: Donald Parsons on
2.6.35 still fails to boot for me, as first reported here:
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1007.3/01144.html

I've manually bisected it down to around May 20 between
2.6.34-git4 (boots) and 2.6.34-git5 (boot fails)
Also -git[23] boot, and -git8, -rc[126], rc6-git[136] all fail.

Unfortunately first time I tried was with 2.6.35-rc6 and
it failed to boot.

Failure when switching from initramfs to real /root?
Removing kernel "quiet" param appears to show several
lines listing:

usb drives/hubs? followed by
dracut switching root (when booting works)
or
usb drives/hubs? followed by
(missing dracut... line)
No root device found
Boot has failed, sleeping forever. (when it does not boot)

Grub, typical entry:
title Fedora (2.6.35)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35 ro
root=UUID=686dc496-8814-4c36-8fb7-5ded2916e825 rhgb
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=us
rdblacklist=nouveau init=/sbin/bootchartd
initrd /initramfs-2.6.35.img

My boot failure seems to be different than other two reported
in the thread "2.6.35-rc6-git6: Reported regressions from 2.6.34"
under Bug #16173 and #16228
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1008.0/00080.html

System is up to date Fedora 12 on Asus P5B Deluxe, Core2 6600 2.4GHz

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HR/HO/HH (ICH8R/DO/DH)
6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600
GT] (rev a1)
03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. 20360/20363 Serial
ATA Controller (rev 02)

Using 2.6.34.1 shows
# lsmod | grep ata
ata_generic 3427 0
pata_acpi 3227 0
pata_jmicron 2547 0
libata 157450 4 ata_generic,pata_acpi,pata_jmicron,ahci
scsi_mod 147895 5 sg,sd_mod,sr_mod,usb_storage,libata

The .config's were made from 2.6.34.1/.config using oldconfig and enter
key (defaults for any questions).

Updating BIOS from 1232 to 1238 (latest) gave no change.
Tried gcc's 4.4.4, 4.5.0, and 4.5.1 with no change.

Thanks for any help,
Don

From: Linus Torvalds on
On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Dave Chinner <david(a)fromorbit.com> wrote:

> There hasn't been nearly enough review or testing of this patch
> series yet. �Before a merge, it needs to be split up in smaller,
> more digestable chunks for more comprehensive review, regression
> testing and behavioural analysis.

I dunno. We merge _way_ scarier things in the VM and the block layer,
for much less actual upside, and with less review.

The RCU pathname lookup has some rather impressive performance
upsides, and I agree that it would be good to get a lot of review and
testing, but the latter isn't going to happen without it being
mainlined, and the former is sadly lacking. The person I'd like most
to review it is Al, but anybody in the filesystem world should
basically see it as a #1 priority, because unlike all the masturbatory
patches like xstat() that add new functionality that nobody will
likely ever use, Nick's patchseries improves on the thing that
everybody uses heavily every day without even thinking about it.

Is it tough to review? Yes. It's core code, not just some random
addition that adds a new feature and doesn't impact any old code. But
that's also the thing that makes it meaningful, and makes me think it
should get merged _much_ more eagerly than most code we ever see.

Linus