From: Ari Rankum on
I need to buy a few ATX motherboards today for a project. I need them
in a hurry, so I'm going to try to find them at a local retailer. I
want 4 channel SATA support if I can find it. Any recommendations? Any
chipsets/mobos to avoid? Is there a chipset compatibility list
maintained somewhere on the web that someone can point me to? I intend
to run FC4 on the boards. Thanks in advance.
From: Peter D. on
Ari Rankum wrote in comp.os.linux.hardware:

> I need to buy a few ATX motherboards today for a project. I need them
> in a hurry, so I'm going to try to find them at a local retailer. I
> want 4 channel SATA support if I can find it. Any recommendations?
> Any
> chipsets/mobos to avoid? Is there a chipset compatibility list
> maintained somewhere on the web that someone can point me to? I
> intend
> to run FC4 on the boards. Thanks in advance.

Sorry don't know the answer. You could ask in a Red Hat / Fedora
group, or Google.

--
Peter D.
Sig goes here...
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:33:31 +0000, Ari Rankum wrote:

> I need to buy a few ATX motherboards today for a project. I need them
> in a hurry, so I'm going to try to find them at a local retailer. I
> want 4 channel SATA support if I can find it. Any recommendations? Any
> chipsets/mobos to avoid? Is there a chipset compatibility list
> maintained somewhere on the web that someone can point me to? I intend
> to run FC4 on the boards. Thanks in advance.

Any Athlon64 motherboards that uses Nforce3 or Nforce4 chipsets work fine,
I'm pretty sure that Via chipsets also work but I don't have any personal
experience with them. I'm using MSI K8N Neo2 and Neo4 motherboards with
Fedora Core 3. The Neo4 card also has a Silicon Image SATA RAID chip on it
as well as the RAID in the Nforce4 chipset. The recent kernels have
drivers for both. There aren't a lot of problems with desktop system
anymore. Laptops can have some issues mostly having to do with wireless
support an occasionally there are some graphics chipset problems there. On
Desktop systems Nvidia and ATI are both well supported.

From: Måns Rullgård on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:33:31 +0000, Ari Rankum wrote:
>
>> I need to buy a few ATX motherboards today for a project. I need them
>> in a hurry, so I'm going to try to find them at a local retailer. I
>> want 4 channel SATA support if I can find it. Any recommendations? Any
>> chipsets/mobos to avoid? Is there a chipset compatibility list
>> maintained somewhere on the web that someone can point me to? I intend
>> to run FC4 on the boards. Thanks in advance.
>
> Any Athlon64 motherboards that uses Nforce3 or Nforce4 chipsets work fine,
> I'm pretty sure that Via chipsets also work but I don't have any personal
> experience with them. I'm using MSI K8N Neo2 and Neo4 motherboards with
> Fedora Core 3. The Neo4 card also has a Silicon Image SATA RAID chip on it
> as well as the RAID in the Nforce4 chipset. The recent kernels have
> drivers for both. There aren't a lot of problems with desktop system
> anymore.

It should be noted that Silicon Image controllers and Seagate drives
can make a bad match. The SiImage controllers apparently send some
(perfectly valid) commands that some Seagate drives choke on. It
appears that recent drives have been fixed, though I have yet to see a
definitive statement.

--
Mýns Rullgýrd
mru(a)inprovide.com
From: Markku Kolkka on
Ari Rankum wrote:

> I need to buy a few ATX motherboards today for a project. I need them
> in a hurry, so I'm going to try to find them at a local retailer. I
> want 4 channel SATA support if I can find it. Any recommendations?

The SATA chipset compatibility list is at:
http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka(a)iki.fi