From: narke on
Hi,

I am looking for a good linux RPN calculator. It should has following
features:

1. RPN (Reverse Polish Notation)
2. Decimal, Hexadecimal
3. Mathmatic functions: triangular, log, etc.
4. Normal and science mode (science mode shows 100 as 1.0 E02)
5. *prefer* to support complex operations.

There is a windows program xcalc (http://www.tordivel.no/xcalc/) that is
good enough but I've not yet found a linux one.

Thanks for any information.

-- Schopenhauer

narke
From: Glyn Millington on
narke <narkewoody(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a good linux RPN calculator. It should has following
> features:
>
> 1. RPN (Reverse Polish Notation)
> 2. Decimal, Hexadecimal
> 3. Mathmatic functions: triangular, log, etc.
> 4. Normal and science mode (science mode shows 100 as 1.0 E02)
> 5. *prefer* to support complex operations.
>
> There is a windows program xcalc (http://www.tordivel.no/xcalc/) that is
> good enough but I've not yet found a linux one.

I know *nothing* about calculators, but if you use Emacs, do you know
about Emacs Calc?

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/calc.html

Calc is an advanced calculator and mathematical tool that runs as part of the GNU Emacs environment. Very roughly based on the HP-28/48 series of calculators, its many features include:

* Choice of algebraic or RPN (stack-based) entry of calculations.
* Arbitrary precision integers and floating-point numbers.
* Arithmetic on rational numbers, complex numbers (rectangular and
polar), error forms with standard deviations, open and closed
intervals, vectors and matrices, dates and times, infinities, sets,
quantities with units, and algebraic formulas.
* Mathematical operations such as logarithms and trigonometric functions.
* Programmer's features (bitwise operations, non-decimal numbers).
* Financial functions such as future value and internal rate of return.
* Number theoretical features such as prime factorization and arithmetic modulo M for any M.
* Algebraic manipulation features, including symbolic calculus.
* Moving data to and from regular editing buffers.
* "Embedded mode" for manipulating Calc formulas and data directly inside any editing buffer.
* Graphics using GNUPLOT, a versatile (and free) plotting program.
* Easy programming using keyboard macros, algebraic formulas, algebraic rewrite rules, or extended Emacs Lisp.

For more info ..............

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AdvancedDeskCalculator

atb

Glyn
--
RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
From: Aaron W. Hsu on
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:14:07 +0000, narke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a good linux RPN calculator. It should has following
> features:
>
> 1. RPN (Reverse Polish Notation)
> 2. Decimal, Hexadecimal
> 3. Mathmatic functions: triangular, log, etc. 4. Normal and science
> mode (science mode shows 100 as 1.0 E02) 5. *prefer* to support
> complex operations.
>
> There is a windows program xcalc (http://www.tordivel.no/xcalc/) that is
> good enough but I've not yet found a linux one.
>
> Thanks for any information.

You could use DC, which is a fairly good command line calculator. You can
also check out xcalc, which is built-in with most X Windows Systems. It
has an RPN mode (-rpn).

I can't say that I've spent much time with more sophisticated ones
though. I actually prefer to have a desktop or handheld calculator, so I
use HPs whenever I need a true calculator.

Aaron W. Hsu
From: narke on
On 2010-06-08, Aaron W. Hsu <arcfide(a)sacrideo.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:14:07 +0000, narke wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for a good linux RPN calculator. It should has following
>> features:
>>
>> 1. RPN (Reverse Polish Notation)
>> 2. Decimal, Hexadecimal
>> 3. Mathmatic functions: triangular, log, etc. 4. Normal and science
>> mode (science mode shows 100 as 1.0 E02) 5. *prefer* to support
>> complex operations.
>>
>> There is a windows program xcalc (http://www.tordivel.no/xcalc/) that is
>> good enough but I've not yet found a linux one.
>>
>> Thanks for any information.
>
> You could use DC, which is a fairly good command line calculator. You can
> also check out xcalc, which is built-in with most X Windows Systems. It
> has an RPN mode (-rpn).

yes, DC is RPN, but it does not support hexadecimal and math functions,
so I cannot choice it.

> I can't say that I've spent much time with more sophisticated ones
> though. I actually prefer to have a desktop or handheld calculator, so I
> use HPs whenever I need a true calculator.

I hope I can have a HP-50g, but it's too expensive to me :)

> Aaron W. Hsu

-- Schopenhauer

narke
From: narke on
On 2010-06-08, Glyn Millington <wistanswick(a)linuxmail.org> wrote:
> narke <narkewoody(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for a good linux RPN calculator. It should has following
>> features:
>>
>> 1. RPN (Reverse Polish Notation)
>> 2. Decimal, Hexadecimal
>> 3. Mathmatic functions: triangular, log, etc.
>> 4. Normal and science mode (science mode shows 100 as 1.0 E02)
>> 5. *prefer* to support complex operations.
>>
>> There is a windows program xcalc (http://www.tordivel.no/xcalc/) that is
>> good enough but I've not yet found a linux one.
>

> I know *nothing* about calculators, but if you use Emacs, do you know
> about Emacs Calc?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/calc.html
>
> Calc is an advanced calculator and mathematical tool that runs as part of the GNU Emacs environment. Very roughly based on the HP-28/48 series of calculators, its many features include:
>
> * Choice of algebraic or RPN (stack-based) entry of calculations.
> * Arbitrary precision integers and floating-point numbers.
> * Arithmetic on rational numbers, complex numbers (rectangular and
> polar), error forms with standard deviations, open and closed
> intervals, vectors and matrices, dates and times, infinities, sets,
> quantities with units, and algebraic formulas.
> * Mathematical operations such as logarithms and trigonometric functions.
> * Programmer's features (bitwise operations, non-decimal numbers).
> * Financial functions such as future value and internal rate of return.
> * Number theoretical features such as prime factorization and arithmetic modulo M for any M.
> * Algebraic manipulation features, including symbolic calculus.
> * Moving data to and from regular editing buffers.
> * "Embedded mode" for manipulating Calc formulas and data directly inside any editing buffer.
> * Graphics using GNUPLOT, a versatile (and free) plotting program.
> * Easy programming using keyboard macros, algebraic formulas, algebraic rewrite rules, or extended Emacs Lisp.

Sounds good enough! thanks for the information.

> For more info ..............
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AdvancedDeskCalculator
>

> atb
>

> Glyn