From: root on
My previous post was too long, sorry.

When I start mplayer from the console I lose
keyboard control. I have built the latest
mplayer from source as well as used that
included with Slack 13.0. I can't stop
play, I can't even switch consoles.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
From: Chris Sorenson on
root wrote:
> My previous post was too long, sorry.
>
> When I start mplayer from the console I lose
> keyboard control. I have built the latest
> mplayer from source as well as used that
> included with Slack 13.0. I can't stop
> play, I can't even switch consoles.

Try backgrounding stdout and stderr:

mplayer -vo x11 somefile.mpg 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
From: root on
Chris Sorenson <csoren(a)isd.net> wrote:
> root wrote:
>> When I start mplayer from the console I lose
>> keyboard control. I have built the latest
>> mplayer from source as well as used that
>> included with Slack 13.0. I can't stop
>> play, I can't even switch consoles.
>>

> Try backgrounding stdout and stderr:
>
> mplayer -vo x11 somefile.mpg 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Thanks for responding. If I start mplayer from
the console then x11 is not available. Using:

mplayer somefile.avi 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null

The keyboard is still locked out. What I have
found is that newer versions of mplayer
require a -vo parameter to enable the keyboard,
but when I do so the picture is smaller and
flickers more than if the output device is
autoselected.

This works:

mplayer -vo svga somefile

with attendant picture problems.
From: Robert Komar on
root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:
> This works:
>
> mplayer -vo svga somefile
>
> with attendant picture problems.

If you run the old, working version of mplayer, does it print
out which video output driver is being used? For example,
on my current system, mplayer prints out:

VO: [vdpau] 720x480 => 720x540 Planar YV12

which shows that the vdpau video output driver is being used.
If your working output driver is different than "svga", then
try explicitly selecting that one when using the newer versions
of mplayer.

Cheers,
Rob
From: root on
Robert Komar <robk(a)robpc4.home.org> wrote:

> If you run the old, working version of mplayer, does it print
> out which video output driver is being used? For example,
> on my current system, mplayer prints out:
>
> VO: [vdpau] 720x480 => 720x540 Planar YV12
>
> which shows that the vdpau video output driver is being used.
> If your working output driver is different than "svga", then
> try explicitly selecting that one when using the newer versions
> of mplayer.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

When I run either version (working/non-working) the output
display gives SDL-svga, but this requires some explanation.
SDL is a higher level graphics package than svgalib. In
my configuration of SDL it uses svgalib as a low level
driver. In my configuration of svga, I use VESA as the
lowest level driver. So the control sequence is as
follows:
mplayer->SDL->SVGA->VESA

When I invoke mplayer with -vo svga it prints
out "using VESA". So, mplayer reports only what
its driver tells it.

I have been able to get all versions of mplayer from
early "working" to latest "non-working" to build.
I can pinpoint where the version changes "broke" the
keyboard input. However the number of changes between
the two versions is too large for me to unravel.

It is clear to me that something is broken now.

I only needed the newest version to be able to
play Divx files other than avi. For now, I managed
to alter mplayer so that I can kill it with a mouse
button. For all uses other than these Divx files I
use the older version.

Thanks for responding.