From: Mr. B-o-B on
Forgive me as I am sure this question has been asked before. I have
googled this for awhile, and found nothing positive.

Is there such a thing as a linux email client that supports m$ extended
mapi for use with Exchange 2007?

Thanks!

B-o-B
From: Chris Sorenson on
Mr. B-o-B wrote:
> Forgive me as I am sure this question has been asked before. I have
> googled this for awhile, and found nothing positive.
>
> Is there such a thing as a linux email client that supports m$ extended
> mapi for use with Exchange 2007?

Last I heard Evolution was working toward that. I haven't checked
in a while, but free software being what it is they've probably either
done it or given up:

http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/features/evolution.html
From: Eef Hartman on
Chris Sorenson <csoren(a)isd.net> wrote:
> Last I heard Evolution was working toward that. I haven't checked
> in a while, but free software being what it is they've probably either
> done it or given up:
>
> http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/features/evolution.html

Evolution, as offered in openSUSE (and especially in SLED) does
support an "Exchange extension":
evolution-2.24.1.1
evolution-exchange-2.24.1
(this is from openSUSE 11.1, the one closest to SLED)
SLED (Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop, the commercial version of SUSE)
also offers a
evolution-mapi-provider-0.25.90
extension, but as THAT one is under a non-disclosure agreement with
M$, it cannot be supplied in the open version and as you can see from
the version number, it is still heavily under development.

PS: this is the complete list of evolution packages in OUR image of
SLED 11 (including internal SLED "build" version numbers):
evolution-2.24.1.1-15.9.1
evolution-data-server-2.24.1.1-11.12.1
evolution-data-server-32bit-2.24.1.1-11.12.1 (our SLED is 64-bits)
evolution-data-server-lang-2.24.1.1-11.12.1
evolution-exchange-2.24.1-7.20
evolution-exchange-lang-2.24.1-7.20
evolution-lang-2.24.1.1-15.9.1
evolution-mapi-provider-0.25.90-1.20
evolution-mapi-provider-lang-0.25.90-1.20
evolution-pilot-2.24.1.1-15.9.1
evolution-sharp-0.18.1-3.41 (for interface with .net applications)
The -lang package are for foreign language support, you don't need
them when you only support USA english (which WE cannot).
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: Mr. B-o-B on
On 06/09/2010 03:39 AM, Eef Hartman wrote:
> Chris Sorenson<csoren(a)isd.net> wrote:
>> Last I heard Evolution was working toward that. I haven't checked
>> in a while, but free software being what it is they've probably either
>> done it or given up:
>>
>> http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/features/evolution.html
>
> Evolution, as offered in openSUSE (and especially in SLED) does
> support an "Exchange extension":

Thank You both for your replies. I took a look at the openSUSE site. I
wonder how hard it out be to get this working on Slackware 13.1, and at
the end of the day is it worth it?

I guess before I get to that point, I will give it a try on openSUSE
first to see how it works. If I am satisfied, I will then give it a try
on Slackware.

I installed openSUSE 11.2 awhile back on my VMware workstation, but
truth be told I haven't looked at it since I originally installed it.

Anyways, thank you both again.

B-o-B

From: Mr. B-o-B on
Mr. B-o-B cried from the depths of the abyss...

> I guess before I get to that point, I will give it a try on openSUSE first to
> see how it works. If I am satisfied, I will then give it a try on Slackware.

Not sure if anyone cares, but I can't be the only one out there who uses
Slackware @ work, and has to deal with an Exchange 2007 server.

It seems the open-source Evolution mail program only supports Exchange
2000 & 2003. The Evolution Enterprise version of Evolution does work with
Exchange 2007.

For now, I will return to imap mode, and patiently wait for the open-source
version to catch up with Exchange 2007, or we get rid of exchange 2007.

Thanks!

B-o-B