From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 15 July 2010 17:39 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
J G Miller wrote...

> On Thursday, July 15th, 2010 at 09:40:34h -0500, MJT wrote:
>>
>> His claim is it doesn't work with Lucid. It's probably a PEBKAC ...
>
> Found it.
>
> QUOTE
> Sure you can get a driver for linux, but it
> doesn't work with Lucid and will not install corectly.
> UNQUOTE
>
> JBJ would really be doing himself a favor if he posted the error
> message that occurs when he runs the driver installation script.
>
> Does he know how to use the "script" command to record interactive
> sessions, and how to cut and paste or insert a file into a UseNet
> posting?
>
> As he claims to have been supporting windows PCs for 22 years (which
> would mean he was using Windows 2), he must surely realize the
> importance of reporting the exact error message text in order for a
> problem to be resolved, rather than the "it does not work" phrase
> beloved of clueless noobies.

It also serves to be noted that JBJ is posting to Usenet from Windows,
so getting the results from a UNIX terminal into a Windows newsreader
editor may be a bit of stretch... ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: JBJ (4920) on
"J G Miller" <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> skrev i meddelelsen
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:11:34 -0500, mjt wrote:
>
>> Hence Miller's suggestion to use "script" to record the session :)
>
> Exactly. Record the session, transfer the typescript file either
> via a floppy, USB stick, FTP transfer, scp, SAMBA/CIFS or whatever to the
> PC running Windoze and then posted using totally inappropriate (even
> for Windoze) Micro$oft Windows Mail.

Ok, first thing first, my newsreader is set up to work with the rules of
usenet in DK thats why is shows up like it does, I'm not only posting or
answering here in the linux group. As for what you are talking about, that
you see in my postings that should not be there - I don't see it, for me it
stands correctly. So are you sure its my newsreader there is something
wrong with?

Second, I helped MGE convert to W95 because they asked to do so, not that I
thought they should. It would have been better for them to stay on OS/2,
but it was the time when IBM was rumored to give up support on on
OS/2(which they did with Warp 4) and they would not stay on an obsolete OS.
Their decision not mine.

I allready explanined that I have been supporting windows pc's so I'm
learning linux now when I have the time for it, but I think I'm entitled to
point out where I think its flawed without being called a windroid. I'm
still looking into it because I think it has good value, but it is not for
the everyday user. Unless the user never seen windows, and then again I
don't think it will be that easy when a probleme ocur.

I switched to the ATI card because, I got the nvidia driver installed but
the 3D still would not work, there were no errors. It didn't show up in
Hardware drivers as it should being a properitary driver. The same thing
happened with the ATI driver. So instead of trying to troubleshoot
something that I couldn't find an explanation for on the net in any of the
hundreds(not a joke) pages I searched(except for a mentioning on the Ubuntu
documentation page that Lucid had a bug which prevented the driver from
being installed correctly, no solution), I went back to basic's - Debian
5.02. My thinking was that since Ubuntu is build on Debian then there it
should be easier to find the cause of the probleme. And guess what, here
the ATI just installed when I followed the ATIhowTo on Debian wiki and 3D
was working immediately. Compiz is also working now. So I would say that
there is something wrong with Ubuntu and all the variations, when it works
in the distro they are build on, but not in themselves.

I have of course tried the Debian solution on the the Ubuntu variations and
it does not work, so I'm sticking to Debian for now.

--

Mvh / with kind regards

JBJ (4920)

From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 15 July 2010 20:11 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
mjt wrote...

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:58:58 +0200
> Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>
>> > Does he know how to use the "script" command to record interactive
>> > sessions, and how to cut and paste or insert a file into a UseNet
>> > posting?
>> >
>> > As he claims to have been supporting windows PCs for 22 years
>> > (which would mean he was using Windows 2), he must surely realize
>> > the importance of reporting the exact error message text in order
>> > for a problem to be resolved, rather than the "it does not work"
>> > phrase beloved of clueless noobies.
>>
>> It also serves to be noted that JBJ is posting to Usenet from
>> Windows, so getting the results from a UNIX terminal into a Windows
>> newsreader editor may be a bit of stretch... ;-)
>
> Hence Miller's suggestion to use "script" to record the session :)

Yes, but presumably he is not posting from that very same machine, and
you are now expecting a newbie to know about how to set up Samba or FTP
or use the "sftp" built-in to OpenSSH so that he can transfer the file
from the GNU/Linux machine to the 'Doze machine... ;-)

Hence, a stretch... :p

And as a follow up to your signature...

Q: How many dumb blondes does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Three. One to insert the bulb and two to spin the ladder.

:p

From: Aragorn on
On Friday 16 July 2010 04:32 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as TJ
wrote...

> On 07/15/2010 09:59 PM, JBJ (4920) wrote:
>
>> I allready explanined that I have been supporting windows pc's so I'm
>> learning linux now when I have the time for it, but I think I'm
>> entitled to point out where I think its flawed without being called a
>> windroid. I'm still looking into it because I think it has good
>> value, but it is not for the everyday user. Unless the user never
>> seen windows, and then again I don't think it will be that easy when
>> a probleme ocur.
>
> Allow me to suggest a little light reading that may help you...
>
> http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
>
> Be sure to read the entire article, and try to do so with an open
> mind.

Thank you for posting this, TJ. I've read it and bookmarked it, because
it makes for some good advocacy reading and it may always be handy to
be able to point people towards that article without having to write
one myself. ;-)

From: JBJ (4920) on
"Aragorn" <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen
> On Thursday 15 July 2010 20:11 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
> mjt wrote...

>>> It also serves to be noted that JBJ is posting to Usenet from
>>> Windows, so getting the results from a UNIX terminal into a Windows
>>> newsreader editor may be a bit of stretch... ;-)
>>
>> Hence Miller's suggestion to use "script" to record the session :)
>
> Yes, but presumably he is not posting from that very same machine, and
> you are now expecting a newbie to know about how to set up Samba or FTP
> or use the "sftp" built-in to OpenSSH so that he can transfer the file
> from the GNU/Linux machine to the 'Doze machine... ;-)
>
> Hence, a stretch... :p
>
> And as a follow up to your signature...
>
> Q: How many dumb blondes does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
> A: Three. One to insert the bulb and two to spin the ladder.
>
> :p
>
> --
> *Aragorn*
> (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

Actually "he" went onto suse 11.3 where it worked out of the box, compiz
and everything!

As for my problems earlier, I allready told you that here were no error
message, it installed but just didn't install - meaning the install went
fine but after it was not installed after all. HW drivers were empty, where
there should have been properitary drivers according to everything I read
on the net, but this seems to be due to a bug in Jockey on Lucid. There is
no workaround yet!

So basically it was not my fault it failed!
--

Mvh / with kind regards

JBJ (4920)