From: J G Miller on
On Thursday, July 15th, 2010, at 13:55:01h +0000, Dan C explained:

> It was over in the alt.os.linux.ubuntu NG, where he asked
> the same question under a different subject line:

Aha, thank you -- my mistake -- I was looking in all the wrong places.

You did indeed post the solution to the problem.

QUOTE
From: Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid>
Subject: Re: Resolution problem in Ubuntu
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: 07 Jul 2010 03:17:04 GMT

It's supported by the 71.xx driver series. Right here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_71.86.13.html
UNQUOTE

And that web page specifies that

QUOTE

LINUX DISPLAY DRIVER - X86

Version: 71.86.13
Release Date: 2010.02.11

Supported Products

Vanta series: Vanta/Vanta LT

UNQUOTE

and

QUOTE

Installation instructions:

Once you have downloaded the driver, type " sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.13.pkg1.run"
to install the driver. NVIDIA now provides a utility to assist you with configuration
of your X server configuration file.

See the README or run 'man nvidia-xconfig' for details on usage and instructions for
those wishing to edit their X config file by hand.

UNQUOTE

So if JBJ has not already tried this, and if not why not, is JBJ going to
try this and fix his problem?
From: mjt on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:25:46 +0000 (UTC)
J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:

> So if JBJ has not already tried this, and if not why not, is JBJ
> going to try this and fix his problem?

His claim is it doesn't work with Lucid. It's probably a PEBKAC ...

His reply to me (in this thread):
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 00:57:28 +0200

--
Idaho state law makes it illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box
of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.

From: J G Miller on
On Thursday, July 15th, 2010 at 09:40:34h -0500, MJT wrote:

> His claim is it doesn't work with Lucid. It's probably a PEBKAC ...

Found it.

QUOTE
Sure you can get a driver for linux, but it
doesn't work with Lucid and will not install corectly.
UNQUOTE

JBJ would really be doing himself a favor if he posted the error
message that occurs when he runs the driver installation script.

Does he know how to use the "script" command to record interactive
sessions, and how to cut and paste or insert a file into a UseNet
posting?

As he claims to have been supporting windows PCs for 22 years (which would
mean he was using Windows 2), he must surely realize the importance of
reporting the exact error message text in order for a problem to
be resolved, rather than the "it does not work" phrase beloved of
clueless noobies.
From: mjt on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:58:58 +0200
Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:

> > Does he know how to use the "script" command to record interactive
> > sessions, and how to cut and paste or insert a file into a UseNet
> > posting?
> >
> > As he claims to have been supporting windows PCs for 22 years (which
> > would mean he was using Windows 2), he must surely realize the
> > importance of reporting the exact error message text in order for a
> > problem to be resolved, rather than the "it does not work" phrase
> > beloved of clueless noobies.
>
> It also serves to be noted that JBJ is posting to Usenet from Windows,
> so getting the results from a UNIX terminal into a Windows newsreader
> editor may be a bit of stretch... ;-)

Hence Miller's suggestion to use "script" to record the session :)

--
Q: How many Oregonians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Three. One to screw in the lightbulb and two to fend off all those

From: J G Miller on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:11:34 -0500, mjt wrote:

> Hence Miller's suggestion to use "script" to record the session :)

Exactly. Record the session, transfer the typescript file either
via a floppy, USB stick, FTP transfer, scp, SAMBA/CIFS or whatever to the
PC running Windoze and then posted using totally inappropriate (even
for Windoze) Micro$oft Windows Mail.