From: mares.vit on
You can try http://www.niktech.com/ and their Manik CPU
It seems to be small enough to fit into the XCS500E with several
peripherals.
Here is startup description for Spartan-3 Starter Kit
http://www.niktech.com/GettingStarted.pdf
Vit

From: Steven Derrien on
Antti a �crit :
> On 5 Nov., 23:11, Wojciech Zabolotny <w...(a)ipebio15.ise.pw.edu.pl>
> wrote:
>
> linux should run nicely on MIPS arch, but not sure about Plasma, well
> also interested in the same as you
> Antti

Hi,

I was also considering trying to port uCLinux on the Plasma CPU, but I
quickly gave up (too complicated for me ;)), however I found an
interesting page regarding the porting on uCLInux to MIPS arch.

http://www.xiptech.com/uclinuxformips.htm

Hope it can help.

Steven

From: Wojciech Zabolotny on

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, mares.vit(a)gmail.com wrote:

> You can try http://www.niktech.com/ and their Manik CPU
> It seems to be small enough to fit into the XCS500E with several
> peripherals.
> Here is startup description for Spartan-3 Starter Kit
> http://www.niktech.com/GettingStarted.pdf
> Vit

When I checked Manik CPU a few months ago, I couldn't find any information
regarding its licensing.
I have sent a question to niktech about it, but have never received any
answer. Without clear license allowing me to use it, I will not risk
basing my laboratory on this design, even though it seems to be very
nice...

Wojtek

From: mares.vit on
On 6 Lis, 10:40, Wojciech Zabolotny <wzabo...(a)elektron.elka.pw.edu.pl>
wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, mares....(a)gmail.com wrote:
> > You can tryhttp://www.niktech.com/and their Manik CPU
> > It seems to be small enough to fit into the XCS500E with several
> > peripherals.
> > Here is startup description for Spartan-3 Starter Kit
> >http://www.niktech.com/GettingStarted.pdf
> > Vit
>
> When I checked Manik CPU a few months ago, I couldn't find any information
> regarding its licensing.
> I have sent a question to niktech about it, but have never received any
> answer. Without clear license allowing me to use it, I will not risk
> basing my laboratory on this design, even though it seems to be very
> nice...
>
> Wojtek

To get some response it needed some investigation to get the right
email :-)
When you search this forum for Niktech+Manik you can find Sandeep
Dutta name
The right email was niktechc(a)niktech.com

He sent me answers to several questions
>>> Did you try to port uClinux to Manik?
No we have not yet started porting uCLinux, we do have plans to
port it.
>>> What is the licence of Manik CPU core and other IP cores?
The licensing scheme is very simple, you can use the core
in your product for free, you cannot re-sell the core itself,
you are not obligated to give out the source of any derived work.
Consider it being a GPL with expection that if you instantiate this
core in your design it does by itself make the resulting work
covered by
GPL.
>>> Will you put it to opencores.org?
Currently we ave no plans to put it into opencores.
Sandeep

Regards
Vit

From: Wojciech Zabolotny on
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, mares.vit(a)gmail.com wrote:

> To get some response it needed some investigation to get the right
> email :-)
> When you search this forum for Niktech+Manik you can find Sandeep
> Dutta name
> The right email was niktechc(a)niktech.com
>
> He sent me answers to several questions
> No we have not yet started porting uCLinux, we do have plans to
> port it.
> The licensing scheme is very simple, you can use the core
> in your product for free, you cannot re-sell the core itself,
> you are not obligated to give out the source of any derived work.
> Consider it being a GPL with expection that if you instantiate this
> core in your design it does by itself make the resulting work
> covered by
> GPL.

It looks out much better, but anyway it would be nice to have the license
terms included in the sources.
Additionally the above statement seem to me to be self-contradictory.
I'm not a native english speaker, so maybe I've misunderstood something,
but it seems to me that it should be either:
version 1
a) "you are not obligated to give out the source of any derived work"
b) "Consider it being a GPL with eception that if you instantiate this
core in your design it does NOT by itself make the resulting work
covered by GPL."

or:

version 2
a) "you are (deleted not) obligated to give out the source of any derived
work"
b) "Consider it being a GPL with eception that if you instantiate this
core in your design it does by itself make the resulting work
covered by GPL."

The version two is less probable, because it would be the standard GPL, so
no exception is needed at all.

BTW is the author of the MANIK the same Sandeep Dutta who originated the
SDCC compiler (http://sdcc.sf.net)?
In this case we owe MAAAAANY THANKS to him for all his open source
contributions ;-).
--
Wojtek