From: david on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Michael Evans wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> <volkerarmin(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> 0.90 has a very bad problem, which is that it is hard to distinguish
>>> between a RAID partition at the end of volume and a full RAID device.
>>> This is because 0.90 doesn't actually tell you the start of the device.
>>>
>>> Then, of course, there are a lot of limitations on size, number of
>>> devices, and so on in 0.90.
>>
>> but it is the only format supporting autodetection.
>>
>> So - when will autodetection be introduced with 1.X? And if not, why not?
>>
>> All I found was 'autodetection might be troublesome' and nothing else.
>> �But dealing with initrds is troublesome too. Pure evil even.
>>
>> Gl?ck Auf,
>> Volker
>> --
>> the body of a message to majordomo(a)vger.kernel.org
>> More majordomo info at �http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>

> I remember hearing that 1.x had /no/ plans for kernel level
> auto-detection ever. That can be accomplished in early-userspace
> leaving the code in the kernel much less complex, and therefore far
> more reliable.
>
> In other words, 'auto-detection' for 1.x format devices is using an
> initrd/initramfs.

hmm, I've used 1.x formats without an initrd/initramfs (and without any
conifg file on the server) and have had no problem with them being
discovered. I haven't tried to use one for a boot/root device, so that may
be the difference.

David Lang
From: Michael Evans on
On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM, <david(a)lang.hm> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Michael Evans wrote:

>>> but it is the only format supporting autodetection.
>>>
>>> So - when will autodetection be introduced with 1.X? And if not, why not?
>>>
>>> All I found was 'autodetection might be troublesome' and nothing else.
>>> �But dealing with initrds is troublesome too. Pure evil even.
>>>
>>> Gl?ck Auf,
>>> Volker
>>> --
>>> the body of a message to majordomo(a)vger.kernel.org
>>> More majordomo info at �http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>>

>> I remember hearing that 1.x had /no/ plans for kernel level
>> auto-detection ever. �That can be accomplished in early-userspace
>> leaving the code in the kernel much less complex, and therefore far
>> more reliable.
>>
>> In other words, 'auto-detection' for 1.x format devices is using an
>> initrd/initramfs.
>
> hmm, I've used 1.x formats without an initrd/initramfs (and without any
> conifg file on the server) and have had no problem with them being
> discovered. I haven't tried to use one for a boot/root device, so that may
> be the difference.
>
> David Lang

Yes, that is the difference. You must have a more traditional simple
block device and filesystem drivers compiled in. You have no need for
extra drivers or higher level device detection and evaluation (with
user-set policies to determine operation). Anything past root-fs
mount can happen in normal user-space before logins are enabled.
From: Volker Armin Hemmann on
On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, you wrote:

> In other words, 'auto-detection' for 1.x format devices is using an
> initrd/initramfs.

which makes 1.x format useless for everybody who does not want to deal with
initrd/initramfs.

Gl�ck Auf,
Volker
From: John Robinson on
On 14/02/2010 18:40, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, you wrote:
>
>> In other words, 'auto-detection' for 1.x format devices is using an
>> initrd/initramfs.
>
> which makes 1.x format useless for everybody who does not want to deal with
> initrd/initramfs.

True, but afaik every distro uses an initrd/initramfs and bundles tools
making it easy to manage and customise them, so what's the problem?

Cheers,

John.

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Michael Evans wrote:
> I remember hearing that 1.x had /no/ plans for kernel level
> auto-detection ever. That can be accomplished in early-userspace
> leaving the code in the kernel much less complex, and therefore far
> more reliable.

Yes, it is far more reliable kernel side, if only because it doesn't do
anything.

But the userspace reliability is _not_ good. initrds are a source of
problems the moment things start to go wrong, and that's when they are not
the problem themselves.

And the end result is a system that needs manual intervention to get its
root filesystem back.

In my experience, every time we moved critical codepaths to userspace, we
ended up decreasing the *overall* system reliability.

Henrique Holschuh