From: Michael Evans on
On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh(a)hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Michael Evans wrote:
>> I remember hearing that 1.x had /no/ plans for kernel level
>> auto-detection ever. �That can be accomplished in early-userspace
>> leaving the code in the kernel much less complex, and therefore far
>> more reliable.
>
> Yes, it is far more reliable kernel side, if only because it doesn't do
> anything.
>
> But the userspace reliability is _not_ good. �initrds are a source of
> problems the moment things start to go wrong, and that's when they are not
> the problem themselves.
>
> And the end result is a system that needs manual intervention to get its
> root filesystem back.
>
> In my experience, every time we moved critical codepaths to userspace, we
> ended up decreasing the *overall* system reliability.
>
> --
> �"One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
> �them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
> �where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
> �Henrique Holschuh

Maybe you'd like a simple, easy to customize initramfs creator.
That's exactly what I was aiming for when I made AEUIO
https://sourceforge.net/projects/aeuio There are some things that
could use improvement, but if your system can boot without loading
modules it should be more than sufficient even across kernel versions.
From: Asdo on
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 02/13/2010 12:07 PM, Justin Piszcz wrote:
>
> 0.90 has a very bad problem, which is that it is hard to distinguish
> between a RAID partition at the end of volume and a full RAID device.
> This is because 0.90 doesn't actually tell you the start of the device.
>
> Then, of course, there are a lot of limitations on size, number of
> devices, and so on in 0.90.
>
> -hpa

I don't understand...
In a system we have, the root filesystem on a raid-6 which is on second
(and last) partitions of many disks.
It always assembled correctly, it never tried to assemble the whole device.
(on the first partition there is a raid1 with boot)
So what's the problem exactly with not marking the beginning?
From: Asdo on
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Michael Evans wrote:
>
>> I remember hearing that 1.x had /no/ plans for kernel level
>> auto-detection ever. That can be accomplished in early-userspace
>> leaving the code in the kernel much less complex, and therefore far
>> more reliable.
>>

> Yes, it is far more reliable kernel side, if only because it doesn't do
> anything.
>
> But the userspace reliability is _not_ good. initrds are a source of
> problems the moment things start to go wrong, and that's when they are not
> the problem themselves.
>
> And the end result is a system that needs manual intervention to get its
> root filesystem back.
>
> In my experience, every time we moved critical codepaths to userspace, we
> ended up decreasing the *overall* system reliability.

I don't see it like this.
You have the same chance to screw up the system by making mistakes in
the files in /etc, in the networking config, the firewall, the server
applications...
(note: I speak for Debian/Ubuntu, redhat's initramfs I think is more messy.)
1.x autodetection worked great for me in initramfs. Basically you only
need /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf copied to initramfs (via update-initramfs),
the rest is done by Debian/Ubuntu standard initramfs procedure.
Also consider 1.x allows to choose which arrays are autoassembled
(hostname written in the array name equal to hostname in the machine or
specified in mdadm.conf): this is more precise than 0.9 which
autoassembles all, I think.
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010, Michael Evans wrote:
> Maybe you'd like a simple, easy to customize initramfs creator.

If the distro doesn't use it (as its default initramfs creator, even), it is
a lot more chance for breakage. Less testing, and all that...

And if I am deploying a specific kernel in a server, you better believe it
is important enough that all due care will be taken so that it won't need an
initrd to mount the root filesystem to begin with ;-)

Henrique Holschuh
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 02/14/2010 12:25 PM, Asdo wrote:
> I don't understand...
> In a system we have, the root filesystem on a raid-6 which is on second
> (and last) partitions of many disks.
> It always assembled correctly, it never tried to assemble the whole device.
> (on the first partition there is a raid1 with boot)
> So what's the problem exactly with not marking the beginning?

In Fedora 12, for example, Dracut tries to make the distinction between
whole RAID device and a partition device, and utterly fails -- often
resulting in data loss.

With a pointer to the beginning this would have been a trivial thing to
detect.

IMO it would make sense to support autoassemble for 1.0 superblocks, and
making them the default. The purpose would be to get everyone off 0.9.
However, *any* default is better than 1.1.

-hpa