From: Greg KH on
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 03:23:15PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic. But as I see this announce,
> > I'm wondering about the topics for the google summer of code
> > in the wider scope of the entire kernel.
> >
> > I'm a student and there are fair chances I'll be free for this
> > summer so I start to think about applying.
> >
> > Are there currently some plans concerning other kernel areas?
>
> These would be under the Linux Foundation umbrella, the wireless stuff
> I just posted is just for wireless. I do not believe we have a common
> forum yet for general linux stuff. Till?

Traditionally, PSU (Portland State University) handles a number of Linux
kernel related projects for GSoC due to the Linux kernel developers who
are mentors for them, and the faculty who are very clued into the kernel
and x.org and general open source development.

Also, the way that PSU handles the projects, is it relies on the
students to propose the projects, not the other way around. Due to
that, the success rate is very high as people do not generally propose
things that they do not have some kind of interest in :)

So if you have a kernel related project you wish to do, feel free to
submit it to the PSU group.

thanks,

greg k-h

p.s. I've been a mentor for the PSU GSoC group for many years now.
From: Frederic Weisbecker on
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 03:31:50PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 03:23:15PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic. But as I see this announce,
> > > I'm wondering about the topics for the google summer of code
> > > in the wider scope of the entire kernel.
> > >
> > > I'm a student and there are fair chances I'll be free for this
> > > summer so I start to think about applying.
> > >
> > > Are there currently some plans concerning other kernel areas?
> >
> > These would be under the Linux Foundation umbrella, the wireless stuff
> > I just posted is just for wireless. I do not believe we have a common
> > forum yet for general linux stuff. Till?
>
> Traditionally, PSU (Portland State University) handles a number of Linux
> kernel related projects for GSoC due to the Linux kernel developers who
> are mentors for them, and the faculty who are very clued into the kernel
> and x.org and general open source development.
>
> Also, the way that PSU handles the projects, is it relies on the
> students to propose the projects, not the other way around. Due to
> that, the success rate is very high as people do not generally propose
> things that they do not have some kind of interest in :)
>
> So if you have a kernel related project you wish to do, feel free to
> submit it to the PSU group.
>
> thanks,

Ah, good to know. Noted, thanks!

From: Till Kamppeter on
No problem for students to suggest topics. We are not restricted to
wireless in terms of kernel. We support kernel projects in general.

Please give your suggestion as answer to this e-mail, doing "Reply to
all", as I am not a kernel export, the other participants of this thread
should have a look at the student's project ideas and help finding mentors.

Till

From: Witold Sowa on
Luis R. Rodriguez pisze:
> Google has confirmed it will have a Google Summer of Code for 2010
> [1]. Last year we had a few projects suggested (4) and accepted (3)
> under the Linux Foundation sponsoring organization umbrella [2].
> Unfortunately out of the three projects that were approved only one
> completed successfully, that of the adding AP support to Network
> Manger. I haven't seen specific updates to the progress of that but I
> do know some patches were indeed submitted to help with this effort.
> Perhaps the student can elaborate more.

Hi Luis,

I didn't know that I was _the_only_one_ student who completed his
project. My project goal was to add support for AP mode to
NetworkManages with use of wpa_supplicant's newly developed AP mode.
When the GSoC started, it turned out that adding AP mode to NM doesn't
need too much effort or at least a lot less that I could put during
three months of work. As the result, I focused on development of new
DBus API for wpa_supplicant. We have designed it together with Dan
Williams (he designed it with my little help, actually) and I
implemented it. The new API is present in wpa_supplicant since 0.7.0
development version and we are still working on it.
I've implemented the new API support for NetworkManager, but Dan didn't
apply it (yet). Since the API has changed lately, we will need alter
NetworkManager too. I'm going to do this when the API will reach more or
less stable state. AP mode for NetworkManager is dependent on new
wpa_supplicnt DBus API, so the NM AP mode patches won't be applied
before the new API support implementation patches. The NM changes won't
land earlier then in 0.8.1 version for sure.

Some time ago johill asked me if I would be interested in hacking on
adding WPS support to NetworkManager. Well, I would but I don't know
when I'll find some time for that. I don't know how much of work would
it require, but it possibly could be a topic of one of GSoC 2010
projects. I have no idea know if anybody would be willing to be a mentor
for such a project.

Regards,
Witek.
From: Johannes Berg on
On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 22:03 +0100, Witold Sowa wrote:

> Some time ago johill asked me if I would be interested in hacking on
> adding WPS support to NetworkManager. Well, I would but I don't know
> when I'll find some time for that. I don't know how much of work would
> it require, but it possibly could be a topic of one of GSoC 2010
> projects. I have no idea know if anybody would be willing to be a mentor
> for such a project.

Sounds like a good project to me, but I don't think I'd be a good mentor
for since I'm not familiar with the NM codebase at all. As for how much
work it would require, I think the basic client-side functionality could
possibly be "too simple" for you, WPS has a lot of additional
functionality (e.g. WPS support for the AP side).

johannes