From: Luis R. Rodriguez on
Google has confirmed it will have a Google Summer of Code for 2010
[1]. Last year we had a few projects suggested (4) and accepted (3)
under the Linux Foundation sponsoring organization umbrella [2].
Unfortunately out of the three projects that were approved only one
completed successfully, that of the adding AP support to Network
Manger. I haven't seen specific updates to the progress of that but I
do know some patches were indeed submitted to help with this effort.
Perhaps the student can elaborate more.

The other projects that did not pass are up as suggestion for this
year again, but am hoping there are more. If you do have a project
idea please just go ahead and add your idea to the list of possible
projects [3]; you don't have to fill out a full page for it for now
but the more details you can add the better. If the Linux Foundation
does give us a few slots I recommend we be a little more strict about
acceptance criteria since our failure rate was pretty high (2/3) and
it would be better to see other projects get accepted if we do not
have the confidence our projects will be completed. One possibility to
help with the success rate of our projects might be to narrow the
scope down a little more. I think the testing and GeoClue project
might have been a little too ambitious and although we did have pretty
excited students we saw no progress at all.

If you have ideas for projects just feel free to add to the wiki. We
should strive to get all project ideas finalized by the middle of
February, latest the end of February. Hopefully towards the end of
February we can see who would be willing to mentor each project.
Google plans on starting to accept would-be-mentor organization
applications on March 8th so we'll need our ideas finalized well
before that so we can send them as suggestions to the Linux Foundation
to see if we can get a few good project candidates accepted.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
[2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009
[3] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2010

Luis
From: Till Kamppeter on
Great to hear from you.

I will apply again for the LF entering as a mentoring organization and I
will add your projects to the list of proposed projects for the LF
application.

Till

P. S.: Do you know someone with knowledge in data compression? I will
run a project at OpenPrinting which is about data compression.

From: Luis R. Rodriguez on
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Till Kamppeter
<till.kamppeter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Great to hear from you.
>
> I will apply again for the LF entering as a mentoring organization and I
> will add your projects to the list of proposed projects for the LF
> application.

Great thanks Till, the old projects are still with the old data so
they have the old 2009 mentors. Hopefully the old mentors would still
be up to mentor the same projects this year, we'll see. I at least can
mentor the testing/GeoClue stuff but one thing is certain, the GeoClue
stuff will *definitely* need a primary really active GNOME mentor. I'm
not sure if we should just punt this off to GNOME completely or what.

>   Till
>
> P. S.: Do you know someone with knowledge in data compression? I will run a
> project at OpenPrinting which is about data compression.

Nope sorry.

Luis
From: Frederic Weisbecker on
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:38:27PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Google has confirmed it will have a Google Summer of Code for 2010
> [1]. Last year we had a few projects suggested (4) and accepted (3)
> under the Linux Foundation sponsoring organization umbrella [2].
> Unfortunately out of the three projects that were approved only one
> completed successfully, that of the adding AP support to Network
> Manger. I haven't seen specific updates to the progress of that but I
> do know some patches were indeed submitted to help with this effort.
> Perhaps the student can elaborate more.
>
> The other projects that did not pass are up as suggestion for this
> year again, but am hoping there are more. If you do have a project
> idea please just go ahead and add your idea to the list of possible
> projects [3]; you don't have to fill out a full page for it for now
> but the more details you can add the better. If the Linux Foundation
> does give us a few slots I recommend we be a little more strict about
> acceptance criteria since our failure rate was pretty high (2/3) and
> it would be better to see other projects get accepted if we do not
> have the confidence our projects will be completed. One possibility to
> help with the success rate of our projects might be to narrow the
> scope down a little more. I think the testing and GeoClue project
> might have been a little too ambitious and although we did have pretty
> excited students we saw no progress at all.
>
> If you have ideas for projects just feel free to add to the wiki. We
> should strive to get all project ideas finalized by the middle of
> February, latest the end of February. Hopefully towards the end of
> February we can see who would be willing to mentor each project.
> Google plans on starting to accept would-be-mentor organization
> applications on March 8th so we'll need our ideas finalized well
> before that so we can send them as suggestions to the Linux Foundation
> to see if we can get a few good project candidates accepted.
>
> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
> [2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009
> [3] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2010

I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic. But as I see this announce,
I'm wondering about the topics for the google summer of code
in the wider scope of the entire kernel.

I'm a student and there are fair chances I'll be free for this
summer so I start to think about applying.

Are there currently some plans concerning other kernel areas?
That doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in a wireless project :)
but there are many other areas that could host a Gsoc project too
and I don't want to miss the whole variety of proposals.

I guess we also can, as applying students, propose subjects too.
Provided we find a mentor for the given project, which makes the
things harder in this direction I fear.

Anyway, what would be the right place to submit such proposals? I
have various ideas in mind, in topics such as tracing/profiling,
realtime, among other things... (could be: "Do as much bkl bashing
as you can in two months, have fun, be brave...").

Thanks.

From: Luis R. Rodriguez on
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic. But as I see this announce,
> I'm wondering about the topics for the google summer of code
> in the wider scope of the entire kernel.
>
> I'm a student and there are fair chances I'll be free for this
> summer so I start to think about applying.
>
> Are there currently some plans concerning other kernel areas?

These would be under the Linux Foundation umbrella, the wireless stuff
I just posted is just for wireless. I do not believe we have a common
forum yet for general linux stuff. Till?

> That doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in a wireless project :)
> but there are many other areas that could host a Gsoc project too
> and I don't want to miss the whole variety of proposals.

The LF projects will be posted on the LF site.

> I guess we also can, as applying students, propose subjects too.
> Provided we find a mentor for the given project, which makes the
> things harder in this direction I fear.

I don't see why not.

> Anyway, what would be the right place to submit such proposals? I
> have various ideas in mind, in topics such as tracing/profiling,
> realtime, among other things... (could be: "Do as much bkl bashing
> as you can in two months, have fun, be brave...").

I'll let Till answer :D

Luis