From: Michael Chare on
I used to be able to listen to radio 4 using realplayer in my Nokia E66 and
a Wifi connection.

In May the unhelpful BBC discontinued this facility.

The BBC say that the iplayer will run in a E71 which is a similar phone
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile/mobile_phone though if the
web site is to be believed I need a TV licence just to listen to the radio.
However my attempts to make this work in my E66 have so far failed as I
appear to need a new version of Adobe Flash player which is not available

See http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile/mobile_phone

To quote "Stream live TV & radio: Watch or listen to simulcast live
broadcasts. Note that you will need to be covered by a TV licence to do
this."

Has anyone found a way of listening to radio 4 via WiFi on using a Nokia
Symbian phone?

--
Michael Chare

From: R. Mark Clayton on

"Michael Chare" <MunderscoreNEWS(a)chareDOTorg.uk> wrote in message
>I used to be able to listen to radio 4 using realplayer in my Nokia E66 and
>a Wifi connection.
>
> In May the unhelpful BBC discontinued this facility.
>
> The BBC say that the iplayer will run in a E71 which is a similar phone
> http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile/mobile_phone though if
> the web site is to be believed I need a TV licence just to listen to the
> radio. However my attempts to make this work in my E66 have so far failed
> as I appear to need a new version of Adobe Flash player which is not
> available
>
> See http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile/mobile_phone
>
> To quote "Stream live TV & radio: Watch or listen to simulcast live
> broadcasts. Note that you will need to be covered by a TV licence to do
> this."
>
> Has anyone found a way of listening to radio 4 via WiFi on using a Nokia
> Symbian phone?
>

> --
> Michael Chare

This just works on my N79, real player and all.

No you don't need a TV license to listen to the radio.

From: Brian A on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:22:48 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

> I used to be able to listen to radio 4 using realplayer in my Nokia E66
> and a Wifi connection.
>
> In May the unhelpful BBC discontinued this facility.
>
> The BBC say that the iplayer will run in a E71 which is a similar phone
> http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile/mobile_phone though if
> the web site is to be believed I need a TV licence just to listen to the
> radio. However my attempts to make this work in my E66 have so far
> failed as I appear to need a new version of Adobe Flash player which is
> not available
>
> See http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile/mobile_phone
>
> To quote "Stream live TV & radio: Watch or listen to simulcast live
> broadcasts. Note that you will need to be covered by a TV licence to do
> this."
>
> Has anyone found a way of listening to radio 4 via WiFi on using a Nokia
> Symbian phone?
Yes. I use the BBC iPlayer app. - Well it appears as an 'app' but I think
it is really just a link which brings up my browser. Use your mobile to
download the link 'app' from here:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/bbapps
When installed, launch it then choose 'Radio' and then 'Stations'
followed by 'Radio 4'.

Just tried it now and Radio 4 is playing merrily. I am a radio 4 fan too
- also I like the World Service.

BBC World Service is playable via the Nokia Radio App.available for free
from Ovi - there is an Ovi Store app , to access the download, for your
mobile too.

--
Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address. SAVE THE BBC Sign petition
http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bbc/
From: d4g4h4 on
Brian A <no_spam_bca1000(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:22:48 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:
>
> > I used to be able to listen to radio 4 using realplayer in my Nokia E66
> > and a Wifi connection.
> >
> > In May the unhelpful BBC discontinued this facility.
> >
> > The BBC say that the iplayer will run in a E71 which is a similar phone
> > http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile/mobile_phone though if
> > the web site is to be believed I need a TV licence just to listen to the
> > radio. However my attempts to make this work in my E66 have so far
> > failed as I appear to need a new version of Adobe Flash player which is
> > not available
> >
> > See http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile/mobile_phone
> >
> > To quote "Stream live TV & radio: Watch or listen to simulcast live
> > broadcasts. Note that you will need to be covered by a TV licence to do
> > this."
> >
> > Has anyone found a way of listening to radio 4 via WiFi on using a Nokia
> > Symbian phone?
> Yes. I use the BBC iPlayer app. - Well it appears as an 'app' but I think
> it is really just a link which brings up my browser. Use your mobile to
> download the link 'app' from here:-
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/bbapps
> When installed, launch it then choose 'Radio' and then 'Stations'
> followed by 'Radio 4'.
>
> Just tried it now and Radio 4 is playing merrily. I am a radio 4 fan too
> - also I like the World Service.

Does it play _live_? The iplayer on the ipod/iphone doesn't. I expect
this will change with the impending release of an actual iplayer app.

(You can listen to live radio with third party apps though...)

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
From: Peter on
On 25 Jul 2010, I wrote:

>old Windows Mobile machine

what was I thinking (long night, had been awake 24 hours!)

It was an old T-Mobile MDA phone I was given!