From: Marts on
I tried to listen to the following radio station via this link:

http://www.3aw.com.au/displayPopUpPlayerAction.action?url=http://streaming.mytalk.com.au/3aw

Main website is www.3aw.com.au

I cannot get it to work on the PDA. Aside from the fact that the unit is so slow
when opening web pages and then trying to navigate around them to find the
appropriate links to click or tap on, it just doesn't want to work.

I then tried it with this radio station:

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/player

Same thing happened.

Is there a trick to getting a Windows Mobile PDA (or even a smart phone) to pick
up internet audio streaming via a wifi connection?

These stations are 2 hrs from where I live. Local radio is rubbish, so it's good
to be able to listen to these when I can. Particularly if I'm out in the
workshop doing something. I'd just plug the PDA or MP3 player into the aux in of
my shed's portable stereo.

From: Manuel on
Try this site
http://www.thestreamcenter.com/PDA/

--
Josefina Rivas

From: r_z_aret on
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:34:31 +1100, Marts <marts(a)ymail.com> wrote:

>I tried to listen to the following radio station via this link:
>
>http://www.3aw.com.au/displayPopUpPlayerAction.action?url=http://streaming.mytalk.com.au/3aw
>
>Main website is www.3aw.com.au
>
>I cannot get it to work on the PDA. Aside from the fact that the unit is so slow
>when opening web pages and then trying to navigate around them to find the
>appropriate links to click or tap on, it just doesn't want to work.
>
>I then tried it with this radio station:
>
>http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/player

When I tried that link on my "desktop", it required a plugin player
for the browser. I've never tried with on Windows Mobile, but that
could be a problem. I tried finding an alternate link, but could not.

>Same thing happened.
>
>Is there a trick to getting a Windows Mobile PDA (or even a smart phone) to pick
>up internet audio streaming via a wifi connection?

You've got a few possibilities, although I'm not sure any will let you
hear 3aw.

Several programs written for Windows Mobile provide access to Internet
radio. I tried Resco Pocket Radio
(http://www.resco.net/pocketpc/radio/). It's good if you like the
stations on their list. I wasn't thrilled with them, and was not at
all happy with support for stations I chose. Only about half the links
I found worked; I couldn't figure out how to set the presets, and the
whole process of adding links was very awkward.

Right now, I'm listening to WFMT (classical) on an Axim x50 running
TCPMP (http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/) and connected via wires.
Note that TCPMP was (and may still be) free, but has been replaced by
Core Player http://coreplayer.com/), which is not free.

I can also happily listen to Internet radio using Core Player on newer
devices connected via wire.

I have _not_ been able to listen using wireless on any of the three
devices I've tried. No error message. Sometimes nothing happens.
Sometimes the player hangs.

I can get links to stations either of two ways:
1) Browse on my "desktop" until I get a link that supports, then save
the _link_ and copy it to my device
2) Browse on my device until I get a similar link, then save it
directly.
Either way, a large majority of the links worked.

However, I just spent a few minutes trying to find an Australian radio
station that would support my setup. No luck.

>These stations are 2 hrs from where I live. Local radio is rubbish, so it's good
>to be able to listen to these when I can. Particularly if I'm out in the
>workshop doing something. I'd just plug the PDA or MP3 player into the aux in of
>my shed's portable stereo.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
From: Todd Allcock on
As Manuel said, you need the Streamcenter website to find the mobile
friendly links.

The new URL for them is http://tuned.mobi, and it has an Australian
stations link sorted by state. Both stations you want are there:
http://www.radiofeeds.net/pda/aro/vic.asp

As Robert said, the various browser plug-ins many stations use are the
problem. Tuned.mobi aggregates the mobile-friendly URLs at one
convenient site.

From: Marts on
Thanks folks for the feedback.

And thanks for the link below, Todd. I shall check it out at the earliest
opportunity.

Todd Allcock wrote...