From: Bill Bowden on
How much improvement can I expect using Litz wire to wind a AM ferrite
Rod antenna as opposed to using solid copper wire?

Is it worth the trouble to obtain Litz wire, or can I expect almost
the same response at say 1 MHz using regular solid enamaled copper
wire?

-Bill

From: MassiveProng on
On 23 Mar 2007 21:50:54 -0700, "Bill Bowden" <wrongaddress(a)att.net>
Gave us:

>How much improvement can I expect using Litz wire to wind a AM ferrite
>Rod antenna as opposed to using solid copper wire?
>
>Is it worth the trouble to obtain Litz wire, or can I expect almost
>the same response at say 1 MHz using regular solid enamaled copper
>wire?

You are only talking microvolts/femtowatts here.

Loop antennas are what most stereo receivers use these days. Ferrite
rod versions are for handheld portables.

The increase is enough that those portable radio makers use it.

Hell, just buy a cheap one or grab on at a yard sale and disassemble
it. Better, just go to a military surplus store or industrial
liquidator in your town.
From: John Popelish on
Bill Bowden wrote:
> How much improvement can I expect using Litz wire to wind a AM ferrite
> Rod antenna as opposed to using solid copper wire?
>
> Is it worth the trouble to obtain Litz wire, or can I expect almost
> the same response at say 1 MHz using regular solid enamaled copper
> wire?

If you would like to see some comparative experimental data,
Ben Tongue has performed some experiments and posted the
data to his web site.
http://www.bentongue.com/xtalset/29MxQFL/29MxQFL.html
From: Bill Bowden on
On Mar 24, 8:22 am, John Popelish <jpopel...(a)rica.net> wrote:
> Bill Bowden wrote:
> > How much improvement can I expect using Litz wire to wind a AM ferrite
> > Rod antenna as opposed to using solid copper wire?
>
> > Is it worth the trouble to obtain Litz wire, or can I expect almost
> > the same response at say 1 MHz using regular solid enamaled copper
> > wire?
>
> If you would like to see some comparative experimental data,
> Ben Tongue has performed some experiments and posted the
> data to his web site.http://www.bentongue.com/xtalset/29MxQFL/29MxQFL.html

Thanks John,

Yes, it looks like Litz wire has a significant advantage. If I read
the results right, the unloaded Q factor at 943Khz is 141 using solid
copper wire verses a Q factor of 1030 using Litz wire.
That's quite a significant difference. Am I reading the results right?

Quote from website:

" Solid wire instead of litz?: Keep in mind that the work described
here used close-wound 125/46 litz wire. If one duplicates 'Coil and
Former B' in Table 2, except using 22 ga. solid copper wire (having
the same diameter) as 125/46 litz, the Q values drop to about 1/6 of
the values achieved with the litz wire. The cause is the large
proximity effect resistive losses in the solid wire. The proximity
effect, but not the skin effect loss may be much reduced if the wires
are space-wound. New trade-offs now must be considered: Same wire
diameter, and therefore a longer solenoid, or a smaller wire diameter
and the same overall length? If one wishes to use solid wire, it
should probably be wound directly on the ferrite, not on a former.
The overall Q will still be much less than when using litz, but the
loss from the high (tan δ) dielectric of the ferrite will be pretty
well swamped out because of the now higher losses from the skin and
proximity effect losses. The Q values, using a close-wound solenoid
of 22 ga. solid copper wire on a polyethylene former, as in 'Coil and
Former' B in Table 2 are: 520 kHz: 130, 943 kHz: 141 and 1710 kHz: 150
when using the "best core". The Q drops only 3, 3, and 5 points
respectively if the "worst core" is used. "

-Bill

From: John Popelish on
Bill Bowden wrote:
> On Mar 24, 8:22 am, John Popelish <jpopel...(a)rica.net> wrote:
>> Bill Bowden wrote:
>>> How much improvement can I expect using Litz wire to wind a AM ferrite
>>> Rod antenna as opposed to using solid copper wire?
>>> Is it worth the trouble to obtain Litz wire, or can I expect almost
>>> the same response at say 1 MHz using regular solid enamaled copper
>>> wire?
>> If you would like to see some comparative experimental data,
>> Ben Tongue has performed some experiments and posted the
>> data to his web site.http://www.bentongue.com/xtalset/29MxQFL/29MxQFL.html
>
> Thanks John,
>
> Yes, it looks like Litz wire has a significant advantage. If I read
> the results right, the unloaded Q factor at 943Khz is 141 using solid
> copper wire verses a Q factor of 1030 using Litz wire.
> That's quite a significant difference. Am I reading the results right?

I think you are interpreting this correctly. Keep in mind
that this is the Q of the coil, unloaded by any receiver
circuit. If the circuit adds a significant load, the Q
differences for a tuned antenna would be a smaller ratio
different. 22 AWG is also pretty heavy wire for a typical
antenna coil. With smaller wire, the Qs would be smaller
but closer.