From: Adrian Davis on
I'm trying to create a boot environment on a system which has the
existing OS (Solaris 10) mirrored using SVM.

When I try to use the lucreate command...

lucreate -c sol10 -m /:/dev/md/dsk/d36:ufs -n sol10-20100604

....Where d36 is an unused (mirrored) SVM device - I get...

==(COMMAND OUTPUT)==
Determining types of file systems supported
Validating file system requests
Preparing logical storage devices
Preparing physical storage devices
Configuring physical storage devices
Configuring logical storage devices
Analyzing system configuration.
No name for current boot environment.
Current boot environment is named <sol10>.
Creating initial configuration for primary boot environment <sol10>.
WARNING: /etc/lib/lu/lubootdev: ERROR: Unable to determine the boot
device for this system.
WARNING: Unable to obtain boot device directly from boot prom;
attempting to access boot device settings directly.
WARNING: Unable to determine boot device by accessing boot device
settings directly.
ERROR: Unable to determine boot device for current BE.
ERROR: Cannot determine the physical boot device for the current boot
environment <sol10>.
Use the <-C> command line option to specify the physical boot device
for the current boot environment <sol10>.
ERROR: Cannot create configuration for primary boot environment.
==(END OF OUTPUT)==

What format for the boot device does the lucreate "-C" option require?
Can anybody point me to an example of the usage of this option. I've
just spent the last two hours with Google on this - I'm losing the
will to live!!

Surely it must be quite common to want to use Live Upgrade on a system
where the existing OS is an SVM mirror? Surely...

Can anybody help?

Many, Many Thanks,
=Adrian=
From: cindy on
On Jun 30, 6:06 am, Adrian Davis <adr...(a)satisoft.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to create a boot environment on a system which has the
> existing OS (Solaris 10) mirrored using SVM.
>
> When I try to use the lucreate command...
>
> lucreate -c sol10 -m /:/dev/md/dsk/d36:ufs -n sol10-20100604
>
> ...Where d36 is an unused (mirrored) SVM device - I get...
>
> ==(COMMAND OUTPUT)==
> Determining types of file systems supported
> Validating file system requests
> Preparing logical storage devices
> Preparing physical storage devices
> Configuring physical storage devices
> Configuring logical storage devices
> Analyzing system configuration.
> No name for current boot environment.
> Current boot environment is named <sol10>.
> Creating initial configuration for primary boot environment <sol10>.
> WARNING: /etc/lib/lu/lubootdev: ERROR: Unable to determine the boot
> device for this system.
> WARNING: Unable to obtain boot device directly from boot prom;
> attempting to access boot device settings directly.
> WARNING: Unable to determine boot device by accessing boot device
> settings directly.
> ERROR: Unable to determine boot device for current BE.
> ERROR: Cannot determine the physical boot device for the current boot
> environment <sol10>.
> Use the <-C> command line option to specify the physical boot device
> for the current boot environment <sol10>.
> ERROR: Cannot create configuration for primary boot environment.
> ==(END OF OUTPUT)==
>
> What format for the boot device does the lucreate "-C" option require?
> Can anybody point me to an example of the usage of this option. I've
> just spent the last two hours with Google on this - I'm losing the
> will to live!!
>
> Surely it must be quite common to want to use Live Upgrade on a system
> where the existing OS is an SVM mirror? Surely...
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> Many, Many Thanks,
>    =Adrian=

Hi Adrian,

I haven't run into this error myself, but I saw it recently in another
venue.

I believe you need to identify the boot device with the cxtxdxsx
value,
like this, for example:

-C /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0

Thanks,