From: Ashley Sheridan on
Hi all,

I was wondering if there were any ways to simulate loads on a PHP script
running on the server? Basically, I'd just like to take one of my sites
through a dry-run so to speak and simulate x number of visitors.
Ideally, I'd prefer something that didn't have to be installed on the
remote server. Also, it would have to be something I could use from
within Linux, as I only have Windows running as a VM, and I'm not sure
it would work as intended if run though a VM.

Have any of you used such tools, and if so, are there any you'd
recommend?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Richard on
Hi,

> I was wondering if there were any ways to simulate loads on a PHP script
> running on the server? Basically, I'd just like to take one of my sites
> through a dry-run so to speak and simulate x number of visitors.
> Ideally, I'd prefer something that didn't have to be installed on the
> remote server. Also, it would have to be something I could use from
> within Linux, as I only have Windows running as a VM, and I'm not sure
> it would work as intended if run though a VM.
>
> Have any of you used such tools, and if so, are there any you'd
> recommend?

There's always Apaches "ab". Though I've seen it mentioned that the
load isn't always realistic.

--
Richard Heyes
HTML5 canvas graphing: RGraph - http://www.rgraph.net (updated 6th March)
From: shiplu on
You can use "siege" in command line for web server stress testing.

There are other tools. I forget it.

Just look at the Performance section in http://talks.php.net/

There are some slides of Rasmus Lerdorf about these on
http://talks.php.net/ which are very helpful.

--
Shiplu Mokaddim
My talks, http://talk.cmyweb.net

From: John Black on
Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> I was wondering if there were any ways to simulate loads on a PHP script
> running on the server? Basically, I'd just like to take one of my sites
> through a dry-run so to speak and simulate x number of visitors.
> Ideally, I'd prefer something that didn't have to be installed on the
> remote server. Also, it would have to be something I could use from
> within Linux, as I only have Windows running as a VM, and I'm not sure
> it would work as intended if run though a VM.
> Have any of you used such tools, and if so, are there any you'd
> recommend?
> Ash

I have used JMeter in the past.
Since it is written in Java it will run just fine on Linux. Setting up a
test scenario may take some time but it can browse your page like a
regular user would (with delays) and supply input where required. This
is executed from a client machine and does not require anything to be
installed on your server.

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/

--
John