From: Ian Britten on
[ wxGTK 2.8.0 ]

Hi all,
I've been having success localizing a small application/utility of
mine, so that it works with different languages (and under the
corresponding locale, etc). All the various labels of my main
application automatically change to the requested language, the
orientation (L-to-R, R-to-L) changes, etc, all as expected. :)

I'm now wondering about getting the native dialogs working too,
and what (if anything) should be needed for that.

For example, if I set my environment/locale to Arabic ('ar'), my
labels correctly shows Arabic text, and the GUI is correctly
swapped (R-to-L).
However, if I bring up a file-selection dialog (for example), it
still looks English (English labels, L-to-R orientation, etc).

Should native dialogs be localized too, in addition to my main
application code? Should it happen automatically with the rest of
the application, or have I missed a step/call somewhere? Or is it
not possible?

[ NB - I've seen references to a wxstd.mo message catalog which
might(?) be related to my problem, but I'm not sure where it comes
from, since it doesn't seem to be built from the wxGTK 2.8.0
tarball. OTOH, it might have nothing to do with this... ]

Thanks for any info!
Ian

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz on
Ian Britten wrote:
> [ wxGTK 2.8.0 ]
>
> Hi all,
> I've been having success localizing a small application/utility of
> mine, so that it works with different languages (and under the
> corresponding locale, etc). All the various labels of my main
> application automatically change to the requested language, the
> orientation (L-to-R, R-to-L) changes, etc, all as expected. :)

I am interested. Where could I read about more of this? So far the only
thing I've noticed is
http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/Internationalization pointing to
a thread of 2003. I don't know what is required to have a dialog working
R-to-L, how would I mark images or bitmaps with words to avoid being
mirrored, and more importantly, how could I simulate this to test the
application.

--
Rastertech España S.A.
Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz

C/ Perfumería 21. Nave I. Polígono industrial La Mina
28770 Colmenar Viejo. Madrid (España)
Tel. +34 918 467 390 (Ext.18) *·* Fax +34 918 457 889
ghankiewicz(a)rastertech.es *·* www.rastertech.es
<http://www.rastertech.es/>

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Vadim Zeitlin on
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:52:51 -0300 Ian Britten <britten(a)caris.com> wrote:

IB> I'm now wondering about getting the native dialogs working too,
IB> and what (if anything) should be needed for that.

The native dialogs should already respect the locale. The only potential
problem I see is that this is the locale which was active when the program
started up, it can't be changed later. But if you set the locale before
running the program, it should really work.

IB> [ NB - I've seen references to a wxstd.mo message catalog which
IB> might(?) be related to my problem, but I'm not sure where it comes
IB> from, since it doesn't seem to be built from the wxGTK 2.8.0
IB> tarball. OTOH, it might have nothing to do with this... ]

No, it doesn't: it contains translations for the elements of the generic
(!= native) dialogs and all the other messages generated by wxWidgets
itself. You still need wxstd.mo (which can be built from .po files in the
locale subdirectory) to fully localize your application but it wouldn't
help with the native dialogs.

Regards,
VZ

http://www.tt-solutions.com/

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Ian Britten on
Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:

>> I've been having success localizing a small application/utility of
>> mine, so that it works with different languages (and under the
>> corresponding locale, etc). All the various labels of my main
>> application automatically change to the requested language, the
>> orientation (L-to-R, R-to-L) changes, etc, all as expected. :)
>
> I am interested. Where could I read about more of this? So far the only
> thing I've noticed is
> http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/Internationalization pointing to
> a thread of 2003.

I got most/all of the info I needed from:
http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/stable/wx_internationalization.html#internationalization
http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/stable/wx_nonenglishoverview.html#nonenglishoverview

> I don't know what is required to have a dialog working
> R-to-L, how would I mark images or bitmaps with words to avoid being
> mirrored, and more importantly, how could I simulate this to test the
> application.

My app/dialog flipped automatically - I didn't do anything (other
than run in an Arabic Locale). [ Note I'm using wxGTK ]

I haven't had to deal with artwork/icons yet, but I'm hoping that
http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/stable/wx_wxartprovider.html#wxartprovider
will insulate me from some/most of the problems (Esp. since the GTK
Stock Icons seem to support RTL variants. See
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-Stock-Items.html)

Hope this helps!

From: Ian Britten on
Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:52:51 -0300 Ian Britten <britten(a)caris.com> wrote:
>
> IB> I'm now wondering about getting the native dialogs working too,
> IB> and what (if anything) should be needed for that.
>
> The native dialogs should already respect the locale.

I would have thought so, but they don't seem to (for me - wxGTK 2.8.0)

I just tweaked the samples/internat/internat.cpp sample to pop up a
wxFileDialog (In MyFrame::OnOpen()). Irregardless of what Locale I
run the sample with, the native FSB always seems to come up English.

Any thoughts/suggestions about what might be wrong?

> IB> [ NB - I've seen references to a wxstd.mo message catalog which
> IB> might(?) be related to my problem, but I'm not sure where it comes
> IB> from, since it doesn't seem to be built from the wxGTK 2.8.0
> IB> tarball. OTOH, it might have nothing to do with this... ]
>
> No, it doesn't: it contains translations for the elements of the generic
> (!= native) dialogs and all the other messages generated by wxWidgets
> itself. You still need wxstd.mo (which can be built from .po files in the
> locale subdirectory) to fully localize your application but it wouldn't
> help with the native dialogs.

If these are needed, shouldn't they be being built/installed by default
then?
It seems that none of usual 'make', 'make install', 'make check', etc,
incantations seem to build them. I was finally able to get them to
build by cd'ing into the 'locale' directory, and issuing a 'make allmo'
(Which I only found by grepping though the Makefile!).
After this, 'make install' seemed to install them as expected.