From: samuelvoiron on
Hello crazy wxCoders !!

I copy/paste here an e-mail I've sent to John Labenski, in case other
guys have any idea to help me...

Thanx ;)

First of all thank you very much for the job you've done on some
wxWidgets modules.
Excuse for this long E-mail but I really need some help on some of the
modules you've developped.

I decided to use this library for my end-of-study project which
consists of a C++ program.

I'm working on windowsXP with VisualC++ExpressEdition (free) and I've
had some hard time compiling some of the component of wxCode you've
developped.

The module I want to use is wxPlotCtrl which seems really powerfull
and would suits pretty well my needs for the application I'm
programming. (a network sniffer with realtime plot for several
quantities such as bitrate, delay, etc...)

I checked out the CVS of wxCode and noticed I need wxThings for
compiling and using wxPlotCtrl. When I look at the wxthings.dsw VC++
project properties, it is set for a dll compilation (with use of
wxWidgets dll's). Since I compiled wxWidgets as static libs, I change
all settings for this project from 'dll' to 'lib' (directories names
and else). I compile and everything seems fine (a things.lib is
created where expected) and I decide to compile the wxtings sample. I
have to change some other project properties for the sample as well
(dll to lib). In the additional lib's I see "wxcode_msw28d_things.lib"
which is not found at compilation so I replace it with things.lib. I
also remove preprocessing definition variables which name contains DLL
in it...
Oh and I also changed wxmsw28d.lib (which I don't have anywhere) to
wxmsw28d_core.lib (which is in the $(WXWIN)/lib/vc_lib/ directory)

But the compilation ends in a lot of errors (2000 so far, I can't stop
the process...) mainly saying "unresolved external symbol" in the
wxmsw28d_core.lib file.

I also compiled wxPlotCtrl which dsw file is set already to static lib
(why by the way having things configured in dll and plotctrl in lib?).
So I don't problems having the plotctrl.lib file but the sample
doesn't work either...

Sorry for this long E-mail and for tha fact I'm quite a beginner in
C++ programming on windows.

I started trying using wx on Linux but didn't digg much further since
my project will have to be developped in Windows anyway...

I switched from different wxWidget versions (2.6, 2.8.2, 2.8.3,
CVS...) but can't work it out.

Thanx for your help as much as you understand my request... =)

Cheers from Toulouse, France
Sam

From: Samuel on
Ok I understood a few things... like the newbie errors I've made...

So I erased all instance of the Widget lib on my hard drive and
downloaded the last stable (2.8.3) from their website.
I compiled it with no problem (still using VC++Express) in Debug AND
release (one day my killer app might need a release...)
I even tried a sample (minimal) and it worked !! =) I assume all
samples will... I'll play with these later.

I then went on wxThings which agreed to compile as well (debug and
release)... I understaood here my newbieness when I noticed the
'configuration manager'... anyway. Here comes the black dot...
Compiling thingsdemo says : (translation from french)
"couldn't open program database in thingsdemo.pdb" and failed =(
Ok nevermind, the lib I really need (and the sample) is PlotCtrl so I
go to this now.
No problem building (ok not just compiling, I'm newbie, sorry) the lib
in both release and debug.
And for the sample, here is what I get :
fatal error LNK1104: couldn't open file 'wxmsw28d.lib'
So as I realise I, indeed, don't have it in the WXWIN/lib/vc_lib dir,
I change it to wxbase28d.lib (and w/ d for the release) in the project
properties.
And then is a huge flow of errors I manage to stop by quickly clicing
stop (ok that was the toughest...=)
The errors say mainly things like:
unresolved external symbol "protected: static struct wxEventTable
const wxFrame::sm_eventTable" ?
sm_eventTable(a)wxFrame@@1UwxEventTable@@B) wxplotctrl.obj

So I guess I'll start trying to use the PlotCtrl lib without the
sample... but I'd feel probably more secure understanding how to fix
those blury strange errors...
(And security is a feeling the french people like very much in those
times of presidentiel election...)

Cheers to all,
Sam

From: Samuel on
On 4 avr, 17:37, v...(a)wxwindows.org (Vadim Zeitlin) wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2007 08:26:40 -0700 Samuel <samuelvoi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> S> And for the sample, here is what I get :
> S> fatal error LNK1104: couldn't open file 'wxmsw28d.lib'
>
> You're trying to build whatever you're building (this is not clear any
> more by this point, to me at least) in monolithic configuration. You need
> to build it in the default, multilib, configuration instead.
>
> S> So as I realise I, indeed, don't have it in the WXWIN/lib/vc_lib dir,
> S> I change it to wxbase28d.lib (and w/ d for the release) in the project
> S> properties.
>
> They're not at all the same thing. In multilib build you have several
> libraries (wxbase, wxcore, wxnet, wxadv, ...). You must link with at least
> wxbase and wxcore and often some others.
>
> Regards,
> VZ
>
> --
> TT-Solutions: wxWidgets consultancy and technical support
> http://www.tt-solutions.com/

> For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-h...(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

Thanks a lot =)

I don't know how to thank you, this (hopefully) ends 2 days of digging
in hell ...

Cheers !

From: Samuel on
On 4 avr, 18:03, "Samuel" <samuelvoi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 avr, 17:37, v...(a)wxwindows.org (Vadim Zeitlin) wrote:
>

> > On 4 Apr 2007 08:26:40 -0700 Samuel <samuelvoi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > S> And for the sample, here is what I get :
> > S> fatal error LNK1104: couldn't open file 'wxmsw28d.lib'
>
> > You're trying to build whatever you're building (this is not clear any
> > more by this point, to me at least) in monolithic configuration. You need
> > to build it in the default, multilib, configuration instead.
>
> > S> So as I realise I, indeed, don't have it in the WXWIN/lib/vc_lib dir,
> > S> I change it to wxbase28d.lib (and w/ d for the release) in the project
> > S> properties.
>
> > They're not at all the same thing. In multilib build you have several
> > libraries (wxbase, wxcore, wxnet, wxadv, ...). You must link with at least
> > wxbase and wxcore and often some others.
>
> > Regards,
> > VZ
>
> > --
> > TT-Solutions: wxWidgets consultancy and technical support
> > http://www.tt-solutions.com/

> > For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-h...(a)lists.wxwidgets.org
>
> Thanks a lot =)
>
> I don't know how to thank you, this (hopefully) ends 2 days of digging
> in hell ...
>
> Cheers !

sorry to come back but it still doesn't work for the wxThings
sample... (database problem...??)

2nd point: would you know how to zoom OUT in the PlotCtrl sample ...?
or how to implement it in the source... (I'll have a look at it...)

Thanks, Samuel

From: Francesco Montorsi on
Vadim Zeitlin ha scritto:
> On 4 Apr 2007 08:26:40 -0700 Samuel <samuelvoiron(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> S> So as I realise I, indeed, don't have it in the WXWIN/lib/vc_lib dir,
> S> I change it to wxbase28d.lib (and w/ d for the release) in the project
> S> properties.
>
> They're not at all the same thing. In multilib build you have several
> libraries (wxbase, wxcore, wxnet, wxadv, ...). You must link with at least
> wxbase and wxcore and often some others.
and wxCode components assume you have an env var called WXWIN which
points to the folder of your wxWidgets.

If you use makefiles you can tell them what is the folder without using
WXWIN env var (by using WX_DIR option). IDEs are not as flexible as
makefiles thus they have WX_DIR=WXWIN hardcoded.

HTH,
Francesco

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org