From: "RJP Computing" on
On 4 Apr 2007 05:42:01 -0700, samuelvoiron(a)gmail.com <samuelvoiron(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello crazy wxCoders !!
>
> I copy/paste here an e-mail I've sent to John Labenski, in case other
> guys have any idea to help me...
>
> Thanx ;)
>
> First of all thank you very much for the job you've done on some
> wxWidgets modules.
> Excuse for this long E-mail but I really need some help on some of the
> modules you've developped.
>
> I decided to use this library for my end-of-study project which
> consists of a C++ program.
>
> I'm working on windowsXP with VisualC++ExpressEdition (free) and I've
> had some hard time compiling some of the component of wxCode you've
> developped.
>
> The module I want to use is wxPlotCtrl which seems really powerfull
> and would suits pretty well my needs for the application I'm
> programming. (a network sniffer with realtime plot for several
> quantities such as bitrate, delay, etc...)
>
> I checked out the CVS of wxCode and noticed I need wxThings for
> compiling and using wxPlotCtrl. When I look at the wxthings.dsw VC++
> project properties, it is set for a dll compilation (with use of
> wxWidgets dll's). Since I compiled wxWidgets as static libs, I change
> all settings for this project from 'dll' to 'lib' (directories names
> and else). I compile and everything seems fine (a things.lib is
> created where expected) and I decide to compile the wxtings sample. I
> have to change some other project properties for the sample as well
> (dll to lib). In the additional lib's I see "wxcode_msw28d_things.lib"
> which is not found at compilation so I replace it with things.lib. I
> also remove preprocessing definition variables which name contains DLL
> in it...
> Oh and I also changed wxmsw28d.lib (which I don't have anywhere) to
> wxmsw28d_core.lib (which is in the $(WXWIN)/lib/vc_lib/ directory)
>
> But the compilation ends in a lot of errors (2000 so far, I can't stop
> the process...) mainly saying "unresolved external symbol" in the
> wxmsw28d_core.lib file.
>
> I also compiled wxPlotCtrl which dsw file is set already to static lib
> (why by the way having things configured in dll and plotctrl in lib?).
> So I don't problems having the plotctrl.lib file but the sample
> doesn't work either...
>
> Sorry for this long E-mail and for tha fact I'm quite a beginner in
> C++ programming on windows.
>
> I started trying using wx on Linux but didn't digg much further since
> my project will have to be developped in Windows anyway...
>
> I switched from different wxWidget versions (2.6, 2.8.2, 2.8.3,
> CVS...) but can't work it out.
>
> Thanx for your help as much as you understand my request... =)
>
> Cheers from Toulouse, France
> Sam

You can try wxPack (http://wxpack.sourceforge.net). It has wxWidgets,
wxPlotCtrl, and wThings pre-built for you. Go check out the website for more
details.
--
Regards,
Ryan
From: "John Labenski" on
On 4/4/07, RJP Computing <rjpcomputing(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm working on windowsXP with VisualC++ExpressEdition (free) and I've
> > had some hard time compiling some of the component of wxCode you've
> > developped.

I use VC6, but it uses the same *.dsw/dsp files.

> > The module I want to use is wxPlotCtrl which seems really powerfull
> > and would suits pretty well my needs for the application I'm
> > programming. (a network sniffer with realtime plot for several
> > quantities such as bitrate, delay, etc...)

It should work, though you may have to override a few things since
it's really designed for static plots that you view, but the drawing
functions are virtual.

> > I checked out the CVS of wxCode and noticed I need wxThings for
> > compiling and using wxPlotCtrl. When I look at the wxthings.dsw VC++
> > project properties, it is set for a dll compilation (with use of
> > wxWidgets dll's). Since I compiled wxWidgets as static libs, I change
> > all settings for this project from 'dll' to 'lib' (directories names

I think the easiest way to compile things is to use the "Batch build"
menu item and check all the libs for the type of build you want. (You
probably don't need obdc and dbgrid, but do everything else)

Ok. So I just got the CVS HEAD of the 2.8 branch of wxWidgets.
Compiled using batch build "Win32 Debug" and "Win32 Release". No
problems... I've now got
wxWidgets/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw28d_core.lib (Debug)
wxWidgets/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw28_core.lib (Release)
and of course all the other libs. Note that you don't have to do both
debug and release, but I would STRONGLY recommend doing all your
development using the debug build.

I have the "Environment variables" (right click My
Computer->Properties->Advanced tab ->Environment Variables button)

WXWIN=c:\wxCVS\wxWidgets\wxWidgets_28\wxWidgets
WXCODE=c:\wxCVS\wxCode\wxCode

I get the CVS version of wxCode (as you did, the current wxThings and
wxPlotCtrl tar.gz releases should work w/ wxWidgets 2.6.x).

Open up the wxCode/components/wxthings/build/wxthings.dsw, Batch Build
"things - Win32 Static ANSI Debug Multilib" and "thingsdemo - Win32
Static ANSI Debug Multilib"

Both build ok... run sample, ok.

Have wxCode/components/wxthings/lib/vc_lib/wxcode_msw28d_things.lib

Open up the wxCode/components/wxplotctrl/build/wxplotctrl.dsw, Batch
Build "plotctrl - Win32 Static ANSI Debug Multilib" and
"plotctrl_sample - Win32 Static ANSI Debug Multilib"

Both build ok, run sample...

Have wxCode/components/wxplotctrl/lib/vc_lib/wxcode_msw28d_plotctrl.lib

> > which is not found at compilation so I replace it with things.lib. I
> > also remove preprocessing definition variables which name contains DLL
> > in it...

No! See thingdef.h and plotdefs.h and note that they are #defined to
nothing if you're not building for a DLL.

You should not have to edit the source/header files of wxThings or
wxPlotCtrl to get it to compile nor to use the classes in them.
Hopefully you can intercept events and/or override virtual functions
to do what you want.

> > Oh and I also changed wxmsw28d.lib (which I don't have anywhere) to
> > wxmsw28d_core.lib (which is in the $(WXWIN)/lib/vc_lib/ directory)

Humm... you haven't built wxWidgets right. Again, you shouldn't have
to do any editing or moving files to get it to build, but you do have
to build all of the libs for each setting you want. (you can build
multiple types of libs at once, release, debug, unicode...)

> > I also compiled wxPlotCtrl which dsw file is set already to static lib
> > (why by the way having things configured in dll and plotctrl in lib?).
> > So I don't problems having the plotctrl.lib file but the sample
> > doesn't work either...

Again, you cannot mix lib/dll/release/debug/unicode/ansi - pick one
setting and build everything for it. I recommend debug with either
unicode or ansi static lib.

> You can try wxPack (http://wxpack.sourceforge.net). It has wxWidgets,
> wxPlotCtrl, and wThings pre-built for you. Go check out the website for more
> details.

Interesting. :)

Regards,
John Labenski

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: "John Labenski" on
On 4 Apr 2007 09:08:05 -0700, Samuel <samuelvoiron(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> 2nd point: would you know how to zoom OUT in the PlotCtrl sample ...?
> or how to implement it in the source... (I'll have a look at it...)

See the help given at the bottom window of the sample program. (keys
'a' and 'x')

Note that all of this can be overridden by subclassing the wxplotctrl
and installing your own event handlers for the keyboard and mouse or
better yet overriding the key/mouse event handler functions "virtual
ProcessXXX(wxXXXEvent)"

==============
Move origin: Scrollbars, left-mouse drag on axis labels, arrow keys,
shift+ctrl+alt and left mouse drag.
Zoom plot: Select area with mouse or [qwe|asd|zxc] keys, where 's' fits plot.
Select curve: shift key cycles through them.
Delete curve: delete key.
Select points: shift + left mouse drag to select area.
Unselect points: ctrl + left mouse drag to select area.
Move cursor: Select point w/ left mouse button, move forward and
backwards using ',<' or '.>' keys.
For the complete list of mouse and key functions, please see the functions
wxPlotCtrl::ProcessAreaEVT_MOUSE_EVENTS and wxPlotCtrl::ProcessAreaEVT_CHAR
For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Samuel on
On Apr 4, 9:06 pm, rjpcomput...(a)gmail.com ("RJP Computing") wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I also compiled wxPlotCtrl which dsw file is set already to static lib
> > (why by the way having things configured in dll and plotctrl in lib?).
> > So I don't problems having the plotctrl.lib file but the sample
> > doesn't work either...
>
> > Sorry for this long E-mail and for tha fact I'm quite a beginner in
> > C++ programming on windows.
>
> > I started trying using wx on Linux but didn't digg much further since
> > my project will have to be developped in Windows anyway...
>
> > I switched from different wxWidget versions (2.6, 2.8.2, 2.8.3,
> > CVS...) but can't work it out.
>
> > Thanx for your help as much as you understand my request... =)
>
> > Cheers from Toulouse, France
> > Sam
>
> You can try wxPack (http://wxpack.sourceforge.net). It has wxWidgets,
> wxPlotCtrl, and wThings pre-built for you. Go check out the website for more

Thanks to John and everybody.

I'll try wxPack... I'm pretty upset I didn't find that before... It
seems perfect for what I need: a simple way to code wx app in VC++,
with the widgets I need !