From: Mark Hobley on
I am using netfilter/iptables to drop unauthorized traffic from certain
network service ports via thr INPUT chain. For example:

iptables -A MYTABLE -s $addr -jACCEPT
iptables -A MYTABLE -jDROP

Packets that do not match entries in MYTABLE are filtered via the DROP.
My question is this ... Is there a way that I can cause a log file entry to
be written for dropped packets, (for example some sort of -jLOGANDDROP ?)

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Pascal Hambourg on
Hello,

Mark Hobley a �crit :
> I am using netfilter/iptables to drop unauthorized traffic from certain
> network service ports via thr INPUT chain. For example:
>
> iptables -A MYTABLE -s $addr -jACCEPT
> iptables -A MYTABLE -jDROP
>
> Packets that do not match entries in MYTABLE are filtered via the DROP.
> My question is this ... Is there a way that I can cause a log file entry to
> be written for dropped packets, (for example some sort of -jLOGANDDROP ?)

As usual, there are several ways.

- Insert a LOG rule before the DROP :

iptables -A MYTABLE -j LOG [log options]
iptables -A MYTABLE -j DROP

- Create a LOGANDDROP user-defined chain and call it instead of DROP :

iptables -N LOGANDDROP
iptables -A LOGANDDROP -j LOG [log options]
iptables -A LOGANDDROP -j DROP

iptables -A MYTABLE -j LOGANDDROP
From: Greg Russell on
In news:12q377-ibn.ln1(a)neptune.markhobley.yi.org,
Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> typed:

> I am using netfilter/iptables to drop unauthorized traffic from
> certain network service ports via thr INPUT chain. For example:
>
> iptables -A MYTABLE -s $addr -jACCEPT
> iptables -A MYTABLE -jDROP
>
> Packets that do not match entries in MYTABLE are filtered via the
> DROP.
> My question is this ... Is there a way that I can cause a log file
> entry to be written for dropped packets, (for example some sort of
> -jLOGANDDROP ?)

Just _before_ you drop the packets, add a rule something like:

-A MYTABLE -j LOG --log-level 7 --log-prefix UNSOLICITED:

.... and in /etc/syslog.conf :

kern.=debug -/var/log/dropped_packets

Then:

/etc/init.d/syslog restart