From: Thorsten Kiefer on
Hi,
I want to do some logical computations with my graphics cards.
And now I'm wondering if all 16 logical operations of the GPU
are available in Java. Are they ?
There is something like Graphics.setPaintMode() and
Graphics.setXORMode(...).
But these are not sufficient for me. I guess Oracel doesn't find
the 2D logical operations very useful and did not implement them.
Is that the case ?

Best Regards
Toki
From: Lew on
Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
> But these are not sufficient for me. I guess Oracel doesn't find
> the 2D logical operations very useful and did not implement them.
> Is that the case ?

No.

These libraries antedate Oracle's acquisition of Java, and no one knows if Sun
found these operations "very useful" or not. And don't

> I want to do some logical computations with my graphics cards.
> And now I'm wondering if all 16 logical operations of the GPU
> are available in Java. Are they ?
> There is something like Graphics.setPaintMode() and
> Graphics.setXORMode(...).

There is no direct relationship between 'java.awt.Graphics' and the graphics
card. The Java class depends on the OS's libraries to do its dirty work. If
those OS libraries use the graphics card's capabilities, then Java does on
their coattails.

As for the "16 logical operations", what do they have that
'java.awt.geom.AffineTransform' doesn't provide?

--
Lew
From: Roedy Green on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:27:52 +0200, Thorsten Kiefer
<t.kiefer(a)tokis-edv-service.de> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

>I want to do some logical computations with my graphics cards.
>And now I'm wondering if all 16 logical operations of the GPU
>are available in Java. Are they ?
>There is something like Graphics.setPaintMode() and
>Graphics.setXORMode(...).

It would be very slow, but you can process images bitwise and do the
logical operation in Java.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

You encapsulate not just to save typing, but more importantly, to make it easy and safe to change the code later, since you then need change the logic in only one place. Without it, you might fail to change the logic in all the places it occurs.
From: Jeff Higgins on

<http://gpgpu.org/>

> And now I'm wondering if all 16 logical operations of the GPU
> are available in Java. Are they ?

What GPU? What operations? Are you speaking of raster operations?

<http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17409_01/javase/6/docs/api/>

> But these are not sufficient for me.

Shrug. Chomp Chomp

I guess Oracel doesn't find

Do you mean Oragel? Teething pain? Denture pain?

> the 2D logical operations very useful and did not implement them.
> Is that the case ?

Shrug. BLT

From: John B. Matthews on
In article <i1qphk$aba$1(a)news.albasani.net>, Lew <noone(a)lewscanon.com>
wrote:

> As for the "16 logical operations", what do they have that
> 'java.awt.geom.AffineTransform' doesn't provide?

I'm guessing these 16 functions:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate>

I can see using java.util.BitSet.

How would java.awt.geom.AffineTransform work?

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com