From: Tad McClellan on
pastrufazio(a)gmail.com <pastrufazio(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Il Sat, 13 Feb 2010 15:51:49 -0600, Tad McClellan ha scritto:
>
>> Your program included use of the CGI module, sure you DO own the page
>> that submits a form to the program you posted?
>>
> I will write a perl script doing the work. So: the script is on my pc,
> the website involved in the login is on Internet.

Errr, so why did your code use the CGI module then?

That module is not very useful if your program is not running
in the CGI environment...

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
From: pastrufazio on
Il Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:15:25 -0600, Tad McClellan ha scritto:

> Errr, so why did your code use the CGI module then?
>
> That module is not very useful if your program is not running in the CGI
> environment...

argh! so I'm not using the proper module, right!?

sorry, but I'm really new with Perl! so, what can I use in a simple
script tologin automatially to a website and retrieve a file?
From: C.DeRykus on
On Feb 13, 3:30 pm, pastrufa...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Il Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:15:25 -0600, Tad McClellan ha scritto:
>
> > Errr, so why did your code use the CGI module then?
>
> > That module is not very useful if your program is not running in the CGI
> > environment...
>
> argh! so I'm not using the proper module, right!?
>
> sorry, but I'm really new with Perl! so, what can I use in a simple
> script tologin automatially to a website and retrieve a file?

If the website requires basic authorization, see the lwp cookbook
example in section "Access to Protected Documents":

http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.834/lwpcook.pod

--
Charles DeRykus
From: Tad McClellan on
pastrufazio(a)gmail.com <pastrufazio(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Il Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:15:25 -0600, Tad McClellan ha scritto:
>
>> Errr, so why did your code use the CGI module then?
>>
>> That module is not very useful if your program is not running in the CGI
>> environment...
>
> argh! so I'm not using the proper module, right!?
^^^
^^^ ?
You are using 2 modules.

One of them is the right thing for mechanizing access to web pages,
and one of them is the right thing for programs that run in the
CGI environment.

You do not need CGI.pm if you are not in a CGI environment.

> sorry, but I'm really new with Perl! so, what can I use in a simple
> script tologin automatially to a website and retrieve a file?

WWW::Mechanize.

From: Mart van de Wege on
pastrufazio(a)gmail.com writes:

>> Does that mean that you _will_ get [a WWW::Mechanize script] working
>> from the command line first?
>
> Yes, and precisely _only_ from the command line! (I will insert an enty
> in my crontab scheduling the script)

Side note:

In my day job I manage a bunch of appliances for customers. These things
are only accessible through their Web-UI. In order to do backups, I
wrote a WWW::Mechanize script to log in, post the backup request form
and save the response (a backup of the config file).

The best way I found to test my automated login and post sequences was
manually running the necessary methods from the Zoidberg shell. Try
downloading and installing Zoidberg, and you can easily test all sorts
of constructs before writing them up in a script.

Regards,

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.