From: yuppicide on
Our office runs Windows 2003 SBS and most of our files are stord on that
network drive. It's shared as M: and has like 400 gigs of space available.

We've been storing all types of files there, but today I went upstairs to
shoot a few pictures. I named them 0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, 0003.jpg, and
0004.jpg. I also took the same pictures and combined them with another
picture and called it combo0001.jpg, combo0002.jpg, etc.

When I try to copy over the file it says "The destination does not support
long file names. Please enter a name for this file." and it tries to limit
me to 8 characters total.

Why did this start happening? We have files stored there now which contain
more than 8 characters.

All of the machines connected to the network are XP Pro with latest updates.

From: yuppicide on
I just tried this from another person's machine and it copied their file
over no problem.

From: yuppicide on
Guess I sort of solved it.. logged out and back in and am working fine
again.

From: Merv Porter [SBS-MVP] on
Maybe...

Shared folder name does not appear on mapped network drive in Windows
Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817861/

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
I've seen this happen when some 16 bit or even DOS program runs and horks
the long file name support for the system.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel