From: james on
Does anyone know where to find this?

I just purchased a knurl spec (since the machininsts handbook doesn't
really specifiy it) for $40, and I don't feel like forking over more
cash for the spline Spec.

Does anyone know where I could find it for free?

An older friend of mine was just telling me today how he used to be
able to get these standards for free when he was a younger engineer.
Having to buy this stuff is frustrating!!!

HELP!!!

From: Chris Dubea on
On 7 Feb 2006 18:12:35 -0800, "james" <kevlar9296(a)aol.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know where to find this?
>
>I just purchased a knurl spec (since the machininsts handbook doesn't
>really specifiy it) for $40, and I don't feel like forking over more
>cash for the spline Spec.
>
>Does anyone know where I could find it for free?
>
>An older friend of mine was just telling me today how he used to be
>able to get these standards for free when he was a younger engineer.
>Having to buy this stuff is frustrating!!!
>
>HELP!!!

Join the club. The sanctioning bodies for standards (ASME, ISO, BS et
al) have realized that these standards which where developed by their
members at their own expense are capable of generating serious
cashflow.

The way people got them for free in the past was to copy someone
else's, which is effectively stealing them. I would think the same
applies today.
Chris
From: Jeff Howard on
Chris wrote:
"The way people got them for free in the past was to copy someone
else's, which is effectively stealing them. I would think the same
applies today."

- - - -

A company buys a copy, puts it in a binder and makes it available to X number of
designers (no coin slot on the binder, mind you). Stealing?

Used to be able to get military specs (AN, MS, NAS, etc.) for free. These are
all being superceded by proprietary standards that come at a cost. Same data,
different name, for a nominal fee?

Just another indication that all the good ideas (ways to generate revenue) have
been used up? (Remember an article floating around 2 - 3 years ago about
something like Middle Out Modeling for Robust Models? Delphi was applying for a
patent?)

James, you can do some web searching, might find what you need floating about,
might cost more in time than purchasing.

http://www.omnigear.us/technical_information.htm

Good luck with it.

From: james on
Thanks for the tips guys. Yes, I ran into the omnigear website last
night - pretty useful.

The sad thing is, all I want to do is callout a spline to mate with
another manufacturer's spline. I don't need to know all the
dimensions, etc., but I do want to know how to call it out!

I'm amazed at the lack of info I've been able to find.

I need the equivalent of calling out a tapped hole - I don't need to
buy a spec for that.

I finally found the info I needed in the following forum:
www.eng-tips.com. It's very cool.

As for purchasing - they really nail you. There is one spec for the
"general knowledge" about the splines, then like 3 different ones for
different pressure angles.

I'm not about to fork over like $300-$400 for this one callout.

From: Chris Dubea on
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:12:48 GMT, "Jeff Howard"
<jeff4136(a)mindspring.com> wrote:

>Chris wrote:
>"The way people got them for free in the past was to copy someone
>else's, which is effectively stealing them. I would think the same
>applies today."
>
>- - - -
>
>A company buys a copy, puts it in a binder and makes it available to X number of
>designers (no coin slot on the binder, mind you). Stealing?

Firstly you and I both know what happens here. Every swinging richard
drops this standard on the copy machine. Yes, this is stealing.

Have you bought an on line copy of an ISO or ASME standard lately? I
have. It's a personalized pdf with my name on every page. Are you
going to place that in the library for every joe to drop on the copy
machine?
Chris