From: Christopher Muto on
meant to say the really new ones have *hdmi* or something called display
ports and you may have trouble connecting these to your current computer...

From: Von Fourche on

"Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> you made no mention of the size of your current monitor.
> if you have a 17" square then a 21" or 22" wide will be roughly the same
> height.
> if you have a 19" square then a 24" wide will be roughly the same height.
> basic 24" monitors can be had for $200 if you watch sale prices (which are
> often).
> some of today's monitors are the glossy high contrast type that are great
> for viewing photos or movies, but are also highly reflective so can be
> annoying in certain settings as the mirrow what is behind you.
> be aware that not all monitors have all type of ports on them. your
> current one is probably analog with a 15 pin connector. your computer may
> have a video card with both a 15pin analog conenctor and a digital dvi
> connector.

Yeah, I believe it's a 15 pin connector and no dvi connector.

From: Charles on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> you made no mention of the size of your current monitor.
> if you have a 17" square then a 21" or 22" wide will be roughly the same
> height.
> if you have a 19" square then a 24" wide will be roughly the same height.
> basic 24" monitors can be had for $200 if you watch sale prices (which are
> often).
> some of today's monitors are the glossy high contrast type that are great
> for viewing photos or movies, but are also highly reflective so can be
> annoying in certain settings as the mirrow what is behind you.
> be aware that not all monitors have all type of ports on them. your current
> one is probably analog with a 15 pin connector. your computer may have a
> video card with both a 15pin analog conenctor and a digital dvi connector.
> check what your current computer can support and make sure your new monitor
> has that same kind of port (of course it could have additional ports for
> future use). the really new one have dvi ports or what are called display
> ports and you may have trouble connecting these to your current computer.
> the monitor size and capable resolution is seperate and distinct from font
> size. sure a monitor set at a high resolution can display very small text
> or icons sharp and clearly, but it could also display that same text large.
> windows allows you to change the size of the general text and icon size in
> display properties. other applications also let you adjust the size of the
> text within that application (internet explorer, word, excel, etc).
>
> "Von Fourche" <khonakong(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> My computer is a Dell E510. I"m using the monitor that came with it -
>> flat screen but square. It seems all the web pages and even programs I
>> use are too large horizontally and vertically to fit the screen. I'm
>> ready for one of those wide screen monitors.
>>
>> So, what are my choices this Christmas? Are they all now LCD? I read
>> that some good deals on black Friday will be monitors.
>>
>> So, I want a monitor. What's a good to go after? I want a big one. My
>> current monitor is 19 inches diagonally. I don't know how you measure
>> those new LCD monitors. But I want my new one to be at least 19 - the
>> bigger the better.
>>
>> Also, I want to make sure I get a monitor where all the letters on the
>> screen are large. My current monitor I have to run at 800X600. When I
>> use my new National Geographic DVD's program, I can't see all the program
>> on the screen, so I have to change it to 1024x768. The program looks fine
>> but when I'm done all my desk top icons are small. I don't want that
>> anymore.
>>
>> My price range is around $400. Under would be better.
>>
>> I really haven't had time to do my own looking because of work. If I can
>> get a good deal on black Friday then I want to jump on it.
>>
>> Thanks!

His original post mention he had a 19" diag monitor.
Charles
From: Von Fourche on

> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> you made no mention of the size of your current monitor.
>> if you have a 17" square then a 21" or 22" wide will be roughly the same
>> height.
>> if you have a 19" square then a 24" wide will be roughly the same height.
>> basic 24" monitors can be had for $200 if you watch sale prices (which
>> are often).
>> some of today's monitors are the glossy high contrast type that are great
>> for viewing photos or movies, but are also highly reflective so can be
>> annoying in certain settings as the mirrow what is behind you.
>> be aware that not all monitors have all type of ports on them. your
>> current one is probably analog with a 15 pin connector. your computer
>> may have a video card with both a 15pin analog conenctor and a digital
>> dvi connector.
>

> Yeah, I believe it's a 15 pin connector and no dvi connector.

I check. My current monitor that came with the Dell connects to a 15 IOI
connector. I don't have a dvi connector.

From: Bob Levine on

> I check. My current monitor that came with the Dell connects to a 15 IOI
> connector. I don't have a dvi connector.

You should make sure that the video driver can support the widescreen
monitor resolutions.

Bob