From: Nil on
My friend is devoted to iTunes to play his media files and sync his
iPod. Unfortunately, it tends to crash the computer fairly often with a
garbled display and/or blue screen. No other program does this. I'm
assuming there's just something about the P4M800-M7A motherboard's
integrated display adapter that doesn't get along with iTunes, and I'm
hoping a add-on AGP adapter will play better.

Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive AGP video card?
From: Nil on
On 05 May 2010, Nil <rednoise(a)REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in
cakewalk.audio:

> My friend is devoted to iTunes to play his media files and sync
> his iPod. Unfortunately, it tends to crash the computer fairly
> often with a garbled display and/or blue screen. No other program
> does this. I'm assuming there's just something about the
> P4M800-M7A motherboard's integrated display adapter that doesn't
> get along with iTunes, and I'm hoping a add-on AGP adapter will
> play better.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive AGP video card?

By the way, here's what newegg has in my price range:

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=4025&Description=agp%20video%20card&name=%2425%20-%20%2450>

This is for simple desktop use, and the occasional video. No games.

I see some that come with 256 or even 512 MB of RAM. Would that
be a benefit in this case, or that just for gamers? Any preferred
brands?

I really don't know much about this area, so any free clues you
might have sitting around would be appreciated.
From: Sue Morton on
I personally favor ATI cards, but only because I've not been
disappointed by them. So I've not had a reason to check out the
competition.

Looking at the link you provided, and the info you posted, my
preferences would be...

For the 'bottom of the barrel' category the EVGA for $36
($30+$6shipping):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130210 great
specs for the price.

If I were to buy for myself from this list, it would be the open box
Sapphire for $51
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102814R

JMO, YMMV, AFAIK, TTBOMK...
--
Sue Morton

From: kitekrazy on
Sue Morton wrote:
> I personally favor ATI cards, but only because I've not been
> disappointed by them. So I've not had a reason to check out the
> competition.
>
> Looking at the link you provided, and the info you posted, my
> preferences would be...
>
> For the 'bottom of the barrel' category the EVGA for $36
> ($30+$6shipping):
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130210 great
> specs for the price.
>
> If I were to buy for myself from this list, it would be the open box
> Sapphire for $51
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102814R
>
> JMO, YMMV, AFAIK, TTBOMK...

Go with the Ati card. The Gforce ones are probably no better than the
onboard graphics.

The better option is to ditch iTunes and get his music from Amazon.
iTunes has become very intrusive plus Amazon will load them into iTunes.
From: Nil on
On 06 May 2010, kitekrazy <kitekrazy(a)kitekrazy.org> wrote in
cakewalk.audio:

> Go with the Ati card. The Gforce ones are probably no better than
> the onboard graphics.

Well, I'm getting a Gforce one, 'cause today I found a guy on
craigslist who lives in the next town who is selling one for $5. I
figured for that much it's worth a shot. If that doesn't work out, I'll
take yours and Sue's advice more literally and stick to an ATI.

> The better option is to ditch iTunes and get his music from
> Amazon. iTunes has become very intrusive plus Amazon will load
> them into iTunes.

Really?!? Amazon has a standalone media player that can manage a local
MP3 collection? I thought Amazon just sold the sound files.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Still on the Sonar bandwagon
Next: Nashville