From: Todd Bezenek on
I am looking for a good reference which will allow me to understand
the issues involved with the precision of Intel floating-point
calculations. The main focus is the fact that Intel uses an internal
representation with more bits than the value will have when stored.
The questions I want to be able to answer via the reference include:

1. How/when does the representation change when I load a value from
memory into an x87 register, do a calculation on it, move it to
another register, store it back to memory.

2. The same as (1), but using the xmm (SSE) registers to do
computations with scalar floating-point values.

3. The same as (1, 2), but using the xmm (SSE) registers to do
computations with packed floating-point values.

Thank you for any pointers to a good reference. Something I can find
on-line is preferred as always.

-Todd
--
Todd Bezenek
Computer Architect and Performance Analyst