From: Susan on
I want to be able to type in a workbook name in cell A1, example "05-03-10
Sales", and in cell B1 pull in cell A3 under the tab SALES in that workbook
automatically. That way the date can be changed randomly and it
automatically looks for that workbook. example change "05-03-10 SALES" to
"05-04-10 SALES" and cell B1 changes.

is there a way to write a formula in cell B1 that depending on the name in
cell A1 it looks up that workbook, please help!!

Thank you
From: Dave Peterson on
The function you'd want to use is =indirect().

But =indirect() won't work if the sending file is closed.

Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at:
http://xcell05.free.fr/
or
http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm

That includes =indirect.ext() that may help you.

===
If you have trouble getting to the site, then search google for indirect.ext.

I found this alternative site:
http://download.cnet.com/Morefunc/3000-2077_4-10423159.html

I didn't look to see if it was the most current version.

I'd check the original site every so often to see if it's working.

--

Dave Peterson