From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Scenario two is the correct one.
The switch is just an extension to the Router's switch.
http://www.ezlan.net/router.jpg
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

From: miznatt on
Awesome, thanks so much!

From: John Wunderlich on
=?Utf-8?B?bWl6bmF0dA==?= <miznatt(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in news:227708F7-ECAC-4C33-9583-9950C1E6F3BD(a)microsoft.com:

> Thanks for letting me know about the need for a router! I do have
> one around that I'm not using, and I drew 2 different network
> scenarios in MS Paint. Ideally, I'd think to set it up as in
> Scenario One, since my laptop is the only one with the need for
> another IP anyway, however Scenario Two is the setup in the back
> of my mind that I think would be most logical. The link to the
> picture is-
>
> http://i50.tinypic.com/2heypno.jpg
>
> Thanks again for all of the support I've received thus far,
>
> Matt

I agree with Jack. Use Scenario Two.

In scenario one, any device plugged into the switch could get the one
IP address that the Modem has to give out. If the Modem burped, then
it would be roulette as to which single device got the IP number and
the rest would be out-of-luck.

Scenario two guarantees that the Router will get that one IP address.
The router, in turn, will pass out as many IP addresses as needed to
the other devices on your network.

-- John
From: [SMF] on
On 2/16/2010 1:30 AM, miznatt wrote:
> Thanks for letting me know about the need for a router! I do have one around
> that I'm not using, and I drew 2 different network scenarios in MS Paint.
> Ideally, I'd think to set it up as in Scenario One, since my laptop is the
> only one with the need for another IP anyway, however Scenario Two is the
> setup in the back of my mind that I think would be most logical. The link to
> the picture is-
>
> http://i50.tinypic.com/2heypno.jpg
>
> Thanks again for all of the support I've received thus far,
>
> Matt
>

> "John Wunderlich" wrote:
>
>> Unless you pay extra for multiple IP addresses, a standard Time
>> Warner Modem will only give out and service one IP address. If you
>> truly have a straight Modem (and not a Modem/Router) and if you want
>> more devices connected to the internet, then you need to replace your
>> 8-port switch with a Home _Router_ (which you can then run into your
>> switch if you want.
>>
>> HTH,
>> John

Let me get this straight. The switch worked under DHCP, but did not
work when you used static addresses, correct?

If you ran ipconfig /all on all of the machines and verified their
respective IP addresses, Gateways, and DNS', then that information
should work if you went to static addresses unless your modem is
the DHCP server.

One thing I might have missed is whether or not your switch has
NAT capability, or is it just a plain old switch? Regardless,
it would be better, if more than one PC is going to have Internet
activity at a time, that you use a switch. Unless the router you
have laying around is a router/switch combo.