From: Dirk Hauwaert on
The CD rom reader-writer of my PC HP Pavilion zd8410ea is not recognised
anymore by the system software. It is hence impossible for me to install any
new software or read any data with my CD reader/writer.
Can anybody help me to get my CD rom reader-writer properly installed again ?
I am using Windows XP - Professional version

Thanks in advance

--
Greetings from Makassar
From: Don Phillipson on
"Dirk Hauwaert" <Makassar1955(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Can anybody help me to get my CD rom reader-writer properly installed
again ?
> I am using Windows XP - Professional version

When we reinstal a hardware component that we know
is prone to fail (e.g. any CD drive) with its own connection
to the rest of the PC, trouble-shooting requires a proven
sequence of tests, e.g. as provided in PC Help Desk in a
Book (Que, 2003) starting with the capacity of BIOS to
recognize drives as currently connected.

Because we know CD drives nowadays are so cheap
they are prone to failure, access to a second PC allows
us to swap in the doubtful drive as a quick-and-dirty
check whether it is in working order.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: smlunatick on
On Nov 20, 1:28 pm, "Don Phillipson" <e...(a)SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:
> "Dirk Hauwaert" <Makassar1...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Can anybody help me to get my CD rom reader-writer properly installed
> again ?
> > I am using Windows XP - Professional version
>
> When we reinstal a hardware component that we know
> is prone to fail (e.g. any CD drive) with its own connection
> to the rest of the PC, trouble-shooting requires a proven
> sequence of tests, e.g. as provided in PC Help Desk in a
> Book (Que, 2003) starting with the capacity of BIOS to
> recognize drives as currently connected.
>
> Because we know CD drives nowadays are so cheap
> they are prone to failure, access to a second PC allows
> us to swap in the doubtful drive as a quick-and-dirty
> check whether it is in working order.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Your response stating the CD drives are cheap is only "partial" true.
CD / DVD drives are usually cheap for desktop / tower PCs. The HP
Pavilion zd8410ea is a laptop. Laptop drives are "expensive!!!"
From: Peter Foldes on
See if the following will help after you follow and implement the fix

Peter

From: Dirk Hauwaert on
nIndeed, this cd read/writer is built in in the pc ! It is not something I
added later !
I tried to download the driver software from the HP website and got the
following replies : "This is an upgrade of your driver" and thereafter the
system answers : "Don't recognize device".
In fact the problem started when I tried to install a modem to make
Internetconnections through gsm. The installation software refuses to
download on the pc. When returning to the computershop, it was found out that
my CD/reader-writer was not anymore in the list of devices (C disk, E disk, F
disk etc...) of my PC.
When putting a dvd or CD i the reader, the yellow light flashes for some
seconds and then nothing happens.
--
Greetings from Makassar