From: Ray on
WindowsXP Pro SP3 IE8

There was a program called Internet Security 2010 which came from somewhere. It
persisted and could not be eliminated or canceled. I use Vipre as my anti-virus program
and it listed it as a high risk entry along with a Trojan. I cleaned them both and then
found that my Task Manager is not available. In doing a Search for files or folders I do
not find taskmgr.exe. Is there a way to recover it? I use it very often.

--
Ray

From: Jose on
On Feb 14, 3:33 pm, "Ray" <rbar...(a)nwi.net> wrote:
> WindowsXP Pro SP3  IE8
>
> There was a program called  Internet Security 2010 which came from somewhere.  It
> persisted and could not be eliminated or canceled.  I use Vipre as my anti-virus program
> and it listed it as a high risk entry along with a Trojan.  I cleaned them both and then
> found that my Task Manager is not available. In doing a Search for files or folders I do
> not find   taskmgr.exe.  Is there a way to recover it?  I use it very often.
>
> --
> Ray

What does "not available" mean - how are you trying to run TM?

Do you have access to a genuine bootable XP installation CD if you
need one?

Look here for taskmgr.exe and report what you find.

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
C:\WINDOWS\system32
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

I would do this first, then work on fixing TM.

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining
issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

From: glee on
"Ray" <rbarone(a)nwi.net> wrote in message
> WindowsXP Pro SP3 IE8
>
> There was a program called Internet Security 2010 which came from
> somewhere. It
> persisted and could not be eliminated or canceled. I use Vipre as my
> anti-virus program
> and it listed it as a high risk entry along with a Trojan. I cleaned
> them both and then
> found that my Task Manager is not available. In doing a Search for
> files or folders I do
> not find taskmgr.exe. Is there a way to recover it? I use it very
> often.
>
> --
> Ray

Ray,
You may have more worries than just a disabled Task Manager. If the
rogue/fake AV was on your system for any length of time (and by that I
mean more than a couple of minutes), it may have downloaded some of its
friends...trojan horse downloaders, key loggers, password stealers, and
rootkits.

First, follow ALL the instructions here, whether you think it is already
removed or not:
Remove Internet Security 2010 (Uninstall Guide)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-internet-security-2010

That process should also re-enable the Task Manager and anything else
that the malware disabled (The malware usually also disables Security
Center, Automatic Updates, and sometime the Registry Editor, and
others).

Make sure your anti-virus app is working and also updating again.

Then, using Internet Explorer, go to the OneCare Live Protection Center
and run the Protection Scan:
Do NOT run any other scans available at that site, just the Protection
Scan. Click the button on that page and follow all instructions to run
the scan.

You may still have a hidden infection after that, if a rootkit had time
to get on your system. I suggest running a virus scan from a boot CD,
with Windows not running. That's the only way you will be sure to
detect and remove a rootkit, unless you remove the hard drive and slave
it to a known-clean computer, and run a virus scan on the drive while it
is slaved.

If a rootkit is removed that way, it often takes a key system file with
it, and Windows will not start after its removal. In that case, you
have to replace the removed file using the Recovery Console, or is you
slave the drive in another computer, you can copy a replacement file to
the drive before returning the drive to your computer.

If a rootkit is found, there is no guarantee that your system is clean
even after its removal, and the recommended procedure is to back up your
data, wipe out Windows and do a clean install, or if it is an OEM system
you can use the recovery discs or recovery partition to reinstall the
image from when you first bought the computer.

The bootable CD anti-virus I use is the Avira Rescue Disc:
http://www.free-av.com/en/products/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

These instructions should be read carefully before beginning:
Tutorial for Avira Rescue CD -
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=82163

If doing all that is beyond what you feel comfortable doing, you should
find a competent computer repair technician who will follow these
procedures on your system. Anything less will not ensure your system is
clean.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: edfair on

Can't remember exactly where the key is located, but the issue is that
there was a change to policy that keeps TM, regedit, msconfig and some
other stuff from running. Change the policy key and everything shows
back up.

may be HKLM , software, windows, current version, policies

Pages: 1
Prev: Audio config
Next: Laptop won't boot