From: mommio2 on
Hello, I have a Dell Latitude E5400 laptop running XP. It recently had a
virus. I did all the normal things to remove it, but I suspect that in the
process, a system file may have been deleted. Anyhow, now when I try to
boot up it gets as far as Windows starting, then I get the BSOD. I have
tried F12 and setting it to boot to a DOS prompt, but it still tries to
start Windows. I also tried booting from CD and put in the Windows XP disk,
but it seems to just skip it all together and attemps to start Windows
again. Any suggestions? Thanks!

From: Shenan Stanley on
mommio2 wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude E5400 laptop running XP. It recently
> had a virus. I did all the normal things to remove it, but I
> suspect that in the process, a system file may have been deleted. Anyhow,
> now when I try to boot up it gets as far as Windows
> starting, then I get the BSOD. I have tried F12 and setting it to
> boot to a DOS prompt, but it still tries to start Windows. I also
> tried booting from CD and put in the Windows XP disk, but it seems
> to just skip it all together and attemps to start Windows again. Any
> suggestions?

Questions first....

- Windows XP ________ Edition with Service Pack __, __-bit (32 or 64)?
- What "virus" did it have?
- What are the "normal things to remove it" you did and with what tools?
- "F12"? Do you mean "F8" and if not - have you tried that and booted into
Safe Mode?
- Before you attempted to boot from the CD (last resort really -but one you
may have passed a while back just getting the "virus", dependent on what it
was) did you go into the BIOS and change the boot order so it checks the
CD/DVD drive first *and* did you see the "Press any key to boot from CD...."
notification and do so?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: David B. on
What infection was it and what files were infected?

From: mommio2 on
Sorry, don't remember. I left my notebook I was keeping track on at work.

From: mommio2 on

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> mommio2 wrote:
>> I have a Dell Latitude E5400 laptop running XP. It recently
>> had a virus. I did all the normal things to remove it, but I
>> suspect that in the process, a system file may have been deleted. Anyhow,
>> now when I try to boot up it gets as far as Windows
>> starting, then I get the BSOD. I have tried F12 and setting it to
>> boot to a DOS prompt, but it still tries to start Windows. I also
>> tried booting from CD and put in the Windows XP disk, but it seems
>> to just skip it all together and attemps to start Windows again. Any
>> suggestions?
>
> Questions first....
>
> - Windows XP ________ Edition with Service Pack __, __-bit (32 or 64)?
> - What "virus" did it have?
> - What are the "normal things to remove it" you did and with what tools?
> - "F12"? Do you mean "F8" and if not - have you tried that and booted
> into Safe Mode?
> - Before you attempted to boot from the CD (last resort really -but one
> you may have passed a while back just getting the "virus", dependent on
> what it was) did you go into the BIOS and change the boot order so it
> checks the CD/DVD drive first *and* did you see the "Press any key to boot
> from CD...." notification and do so?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Windows XP with most recent service pack and updates 32bit

Still don't know what virus/spyware/malware it was and don't think it is
enturely gone

I tried running Symantec - could not start it.
Tried Hijackthis - deleted the "nasty" files
Tried to run Trend Micro House Call - wouldn't let me - kept going to a
different site
deleted all temp files
Tried to restart and my problem began

On this laptop, it is F12, notF8 (check the Dell web site)
It gives me all the setup options and I choose "boot from CD" and blanked
out all the other choices. Didn't work. It never got to the "Press any key
fto boot from CD" thing.

Thanks.

I may not know the correct lingo, but I do know what I am talking about.
Just would appreciate a little advice and wonder if anyone has seen this
before.