From: Shenan Stanley on

mommio2 wrote:
> Windows XP with most recent service pack and updates 32bit
>
> Still don't know what virus/spyware/malware it was and don't think
> it is enturely gone
>
> I tried running Symantec - could not start it.
> Tried Hijackthis - deleted the "nasty" files
> Tried to run Trend Micro House Call - wouldn't let me - kept going
> to a different site
> deleted all temp files
> Tried to restart and my problem began
>
> On this laptop, it is F12, notF8 (check the Dell web site)
> It gives me all the setup options and I choose "boot from CD" and
> blanked out all the other choices. Didn't work. It never got to
> the "Press any key fto boot from CD" thing.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I may not know the correct lingo, but I do know what I am talking
> about. Just would appreciate a little advice and wonder if anyone
> has seen this before.

Let's try this again...

Windows XP _____ Edition?
(Home? Professional? Media Center? Tablet PC? Other?)

F12 may let you select what media to boot from - but it has nothing to do
with Windows XP. F12 lets you choose what media to boot from for a single
instance (as opposed to going into the BIOS and changing it for each boot.)
It is a pre-OS boot thing - great for the CD booting thing, but not for the
Safe Mode boot I mentioned in the query.

My question there still stands about "Safe Mode". You should be able to
turn on the computer and start tapping the "F8" key once per second and it
should give you a menu - with one option being "Safe Mode". What happens
when you do this? Can it boot into safe mode?

What is the CD labeled that you are attempting to boot from? (Exact
wording.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Daave on
mommio2 wrote:
> I have tried F12 and setting it to boot to a DOS
> prompt, but it still tries to start Windows. I also tried booting
> from CD and put in the Windows XP disk, but it seems to just skip it
> all together and attemps to start Windows again. Any suggestions?
> Thanks!

FWIW, "DOS prompt" is not an F12 Boot Device Menu option. See this
screenshot:

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/4396/bootdevicemenu2wz.png

I would first follow Shenan's advice (try Safe Mode). But in the event
you *do* need to boot off your Dell XP Reinstallation CD (did I presume
correctly?), after selecting "IDE CD-ROM Device" from the Boot Device
Menu, you will see this screen:

http://www.pcxmedics.com/blog/images/clean-install-xp-1.jpg

You need to press any key! Otherwise the PC will then boot from the hard
drive.

From: Jolly Polly on
mommio2 wrote:
> Hello, I have a Dell Latitude E5400 laptop running XP. It recently had a
> virus. I did all the normal things to remove it, but I suspect that in the
> process, a system file may have been deleted. Anyhow, now when I try to
> boot up it gets as far as Windows starting, then I get the BSOD. I have
> tried F12 and setting it to boot to a DOS prompt, but it still tries to
> start Windows. I also tried booting from CD and put in the Windows XP disk,
> but it seems to just skip it all together and attemps to start Windows
> again. Any suggestions? Thanks!

F12 = once only boot menu
F8 = safe mode options

use F8 to boot into safe mode, choose safe mode with networking if possible.
Then Download 'malwarebytes free version' and install, update and do a
FULL scan
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
then, when finished
Download 'Spybot search & destroy' also free and install, (DO NOT
install the teatimer gadget), update, and do a scan of all your hard drives
then, when finished
Goto http://onecare.live.com/site/en-my/default.htm?mkt=en-my
click on full service scan, follow the instructions and install when
asked to do so
then, when finished
Goto http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/
click on Eset Online Scanner, again follow the instructions

run as many as possible in safe mode, then re-boot into normal mode and
go through then again, updating first of course

if you cannot boot into normal mode or even safe mode without BSOD do a
checkdisc, boot into either safe mode or a Windows XP installation disc
and choose repair. At the command prompt type
chkdsk c: /r
<enter>