From: Jack on
Hello,
After turning on computer there is not connection to Internet, and
I do not know what else I can do to restore it.
1.
There is a connection to Internet in the Virtual PC guest (Windows XP).
Only host (also Windows XP) lost the connection.
2.
I restored host Windows XP to the earlier date and that did not help either.
3.
There is not response from Ping command I used in command window.
4.
Local Area Connection Status shows only increased number of bytes Sent but
the Received bytes do not change at all.
5.
In Network Connection window I clicked on 'Repair this connection' -->Local
Area Connection and that did not help either.
6.
I have 3 other computers connected to the same switch and all have
connection to the Internet.

What else should I try or check (besides reinstalling Windows) ?

Your comments appreciated,
Jack

From: Malke on
Jack wrote:

> Hello,
> After turning on computer there is not connection to Internet,
> and
> I do not know what else I can do to restore it.
> 1.
> There is a connection to Internet in the Virtual PC guest (Windows XP).
> Only host (also Windows XP) lost the connection.
> 2.
> I restored host Windows XP to the earlier date and that did not help
> either. 3.
> There is not response from Ping command I used in command window.
> 4.
> Local Area Connection Status shows only increased number of bytes Sent but
> the Received bytes do not change at all.
> 5.
> In Network Connection window I clicked on 'Repair this connection'
> -->Local Area Connection and that did not help either.
> 6.
> I have 3 other computers connected to the same switch and all have
> connection to the Internet.

What antivirus/security programs are installed on the host OS?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

From: Jack on
NOD32
Thanks,
Jack

From: Malke on
Jack wrote:

> NOD32
> Thanks,

No third-party firewall such as Zone Alarm? If yes, then there was a known
issue with ZA connectivity. Get the latest update or uninstall it and use
the built-in Windows Firewall. If you are just using the WF now, try
updating the network adapter drivers. Get them from either the mftr.'s
website (third-party NIC), the motherboard mftr.'s website if onboard, or
the OEM's website for your specific model computer if you have that kind of
machine (Dell, HP, etc.).

You know the NIC works because the vm can get online so replacing it isn't
the issue. Of course, the vm isn't using the same drivers as the host.

Malke

From: Jack on
No, just WF but I disabled it.
If it is a card, then why restoring to earlier date does to help?
It should restore driver to previous condition, I assume.