From: Bob Wilson on
On Feb 20, 10:17 pm, Andy <1...(a)2.3> wrote:
> In order for the Rage Pro to function in dual monitors under XP, it
> has to be the primary display, because its bios has to run during
> power up to initialize the card. If it's not primary, the card won't
> run.

I've tried two different Rage Pro's, one AGP and one PCI, and also an
SiS. I've tried two cards at once, or one card plus the onboard, all
combinations. When I set the Rage Pro as primary, it works fine but
the second adapter will not start and won't allow me to reinstall a
driver. Device Manager sees the second adapter but has the yellow
exclamation point on it and nothing will change that. And Display
Properties only sees the primary one.

The ATI drivers put a whole range of options and controls in the
Display Properties | Settings | Advanced but dual monitors is not one
of the options. If Display Properties SAW the second one, it would be
an option.

From: Andy on
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:50:49 -0800 (PST), Bob Wilson
<roverdrover(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 20, 10:17�pm, Andy <1...(a)2.3> wrote:
>> In order for the Rage Pro to function in dual monitors under XP, it
>> has to be the primary display, because its bios has to run during
>> power up to initialize the card. If it's not primary, the card won't
>> run.
>>
>I've tried two different Rage Pro's, one AGP and one PCI, and also an
>SiS. I've tried two cards at once, or one card plus the onboard, all
>combinations. When I set the Rage Pro as primary, it works fine but
>the second adapter will not start and won't allow me to reinstall a
>driver. Device Manager sees the second adapter but has the yellow
>exclamation point on it and nothing will change that. And Display
>Properties only sees the primary one.
>
>The ATI drivers put a whole range of options and controls in the
>Display Properties | Settings | Advanced but dual monitors is not one
>of the options. If Display Properties SAW the second one, it would be
>an option.

You can't use two Rage Pros, since the one that is not primary won't
run. The only way this can work is with the onboard video as the
secondary, provided it can function as secondary under XP.
From: Bob Wilson on

A friend gave me an ATI Radeon X1550 with dual heads, I downloaded the
latest drivers, and everything's working great now. Thanks you guys
for all the input.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: move quick launch