From: Bob Wilson on
I had XP Pro running with dual monitors for a couple of years,
switched out monitors from time to time and no problem. I've got an
Intel 2.8 MB with onboard video connected to one monitor, and an ATI
Rage Pro to the other monitor. Worked great till I had to replace the
hard drive and reinstall XP Pro. I'm running SP3 with all updates.

Now what happens is, whichever video adapter I make primary in the
BIOS, XP comes up on it, with the drivers okay, and the non-primary
one XP detects but Device Manager says the driver isn't installed.
And nothing I can do will make it accept the driver for the non-
primary one. But if I reboot and change the primary video adapter,
then it comes up with the other adapter & monitor just great and the
FIRST one is now failing to start.

When I go to Settings on Display Properties, I only see one monitor in
either case.

I've tried taking out the ATI and starting without it, then and
putting it back and restarting, no change. I don't know why this
install of XP will only accept the primary video adapter and not a
second one.
From: DL on
Did you install makers drivers or did you rely on MSUpdate after your winxp
reinstall?

From: mac on
> I've tried taking out the ATI and starting without it, then and
> putting it back and restarting, no change. I don't know why this
> install of XP will only accept the primary video adapter and not a
> second one.

I've used dual-monitors regularly for the past few years with both ATI
and nVidia cards and ATI's latest Catalyst software is probably the best
I've seen them release. Make sure you have the most up to date version
- I think they have one download for more or less all cards now.

If you can disable the dual-monitor support in the BIOS I would, leave
it up to Winodws/ATI to handle the monitors. What's the make/version of
the BIOS?

Mac.
From: DL on
So what PC are you using which features a dual monitor entry in the Bios, a
laptop? I've never seen such a bios entry in a desktop.

From: Bob I on
Perhaps manually disabling the on-board video?

DL wrote:

> So what PC are you using which features a dual monitor entry in the Bios, a
> laptop? I've never seen such a bios entry in a desktop.
>
> "mac" <mac(a)mac.mac> wrote in message
>
>>>I've tried taking out the ATI and starting without it, then and
>>>putting it back and restarting, no change. I don't know why this
>>>install of XP will only accept the primary video adapter and not a
>>>second one.
>>
>>I've used dual-monitors regularly for the past few years with both ATI and
>>nVidia cards and ATI's latest Catalyst software is probably the best I've
>>seen them release. Make sure you have the most up to date version - I
>>think they have one download for more or less all cards now.
>>
>>If you can disable the dual-monitor support in the BIOS I would, leave it
>>up to Winodws/ATI to handle the monitors. What's the make/version of the
>>BIOS?
>>
>>Mac.
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3