From: Ian McCall on
Has anyone used this? I watched a film via streaming for the first time
today, and it -murdered- my machine. The mouse cursor jerked, I
couldn't quit the video, couldn't alt-tab, couldn't force-quit (as in
couldn't even bring the dialog up). I eventually had to hard-power off
the machine at the end of the film.

Anyone done this with more success?

Cheers,
Ian

From: Ben Shimmin on
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org>:
> Has anyone used this? I watched a film via streaming for the first time
> today, and it -murdered- my machine. The mouse cursor jerked, I
> couldn't quit the video, couldn't alt-tab, couldn't force-quit (as in
> couldn't even bring the dialog up). I eventually had to hard-power off
> the machine at the end of the film.
>
> Anyone done this with more success?

I've watched a couple of films and it's been fine (well, the selection
isn't great, but you know what I mean). This was on a unibody MacBook Pro,
4GB RAM, etc. The fans ramped up a bit, but no more than you'd normally
expect from watching video fullscreen in Flash.

The quality isn't amazing, incidentally -- you can't even pretend it's any
sort of `HD'.

b.

--
<bas(a)bas.me.uk> <URL:http://bas.me.uk/>
`It is like Swinburne sat down on his soul's darkest night and designed an
From: Ian McCall on
On 2009-12-20 18:08:29 +0000, Ben Shimmin <bas(a)llamaselector.com> said:

> Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org>:
>> Has anyone used this? I watched a film via streaming for the first time
>> today, and it -murdered- my machine...

> I've watched a couple of films and it's been fine (well, the selection
> isn't great, but you know what I mean). This was on a unibody MacBook Pro,
> 4GB RAM, etc. The fans ramped up a bit, but no more than you'd normally
> expect from watching video fullscreen in Flash.

Seemed much worse on mine. I have a pre-Unibody 2.8Ghz 4Gig MacBook Pro
- normally has no problems. This was orders of magnitude worse than I'm
used to.

> The quality isn't amazing, incidentally -- you can't even pretend it's any
> sort of `HD'.

Was watching "Things To Come", 1935 (I think). Not sure HD was all that
relevant...

Cheers,
Ian

From: Ben Shimmin on
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org>:
> On 2009-12-20 18:08:29 +0000, Ben Shimmin <bas(a)llamaselector.com> said:
>> Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org>:
>>> Has anyone used this? I watched a film via streaming for the first time
>>> today, and it -murdered- my machine...
>
>> I've watched a couple of films and it's been fine (well, the selection
>> isn't great, but you know what I mean). This was on a unibody MacBook Pro,
>> 4GB RAM, etc. The fans ramped up a bit, but no more than you'd normally
>> expect from watching video fullscreen in Flash.
>
> Seemed much worse on mine. I have a pre-Unibody 2.8Ghz 4Gig MacBook Pro
> - normally has no problems. This was orders of magnitude worse than I'm
> used to.

Yes, it does sound rather dismal. Are you brave enough to try again?
And is your Flash player up-to-date?

Incidentally, LoveFilm are incredibly receptive to customer feedback,
so if there's any question of getting your money back (or even just
complaining that the player doesn't work well on Macs), do drop them
a line.

>> The quality isn't amazing, incidentally -- you can't even pretend it's any
>> sort of `HD'.
>
> Was watching "Things To Come", 1935 (I think). Not sure HD was all that
> relevant...

Quite possibly not! Still, watching one of their online films on my
HD TV didn't look great; it was watchable, but certainly not DVD quality
(or even `ripped DVD from BitTorrent' quality, frankly; not that I
would ever do such a thing, of course).

b.

From: Ian McCall on
On 2009-12-20 18:37:08 +0000, Ben Shimmin <bas(a)llamaselector.com> said:

> Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org>:
>> ...Seemed much worse on mine. I have a pre-Unibody 2.8Ghz 4Gig MacBook Pro
>> - normally has no problems. This was orders of magnitude worse than I'm
>> used to.
>
> Yes, it does sound rather dismal. Are you brave enough to try again?
> And is your Flash player up-to-date?

OK - tried again, same film. And this time - absolutely fine. I am now
confused, because I'd hard-powered off twice earlier.

Ah - mind you, there -is- one difference. Last time I had my iPhone
plugged in, so thinking about it that would have automatically started
iTunes and iPhoto. Wouldn't actually have been doing anything, but they
would have been there.

Cheers,
Ian

Pages: 1