From: OnlyMe on
I give M$ a very big thankyou for Microsoft Essentials, It has replaced
my Free AVG and Antimalware program, and am very happy to
advertise the fact.
With kind regards From WillofAustralia

From: Shenan Stanley on
OnlyMe wrote:
> I give M$ a very big thankyou for Microsoft Essentials, It has
> replaced my Free AVG and Antimalware program, and am very happy to
> advertise the fact.
> With kind regards From WillofAustralia

Yet you still use the derogatory reference "M$" instead of "Microsoft" or
"MS"? Interesting. One might come to the conclusion you are either being
sarcastic or at least insincere with your supposed statement of
appreciation.

I would still personally recommend you use "Avira AntiVir" or "eSet NOD32"
(AntiVirus only) as your antivirus product and the built-in Windows firewall
(especially if you are behind a NAT device already) as well as either doing
the occassional scan with "MalwareBytes" or purchasing "MalwareBytes" to
actively protect you and your data alongside your chosen antivirus product.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Martin C on

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> OnlyMe wrote:
>> I give M$ a very big thankyou for Microsoft Essentials, It has
>> replaced my Free AVG and Antimalware program, and am very happy to
>> advertise the fact.
>> With kind regards From WillofAustralia
>
> Yet you still use the derogatory reference "M$" instead of "Microsoft" or
> "MS"? Interesting. One might come to the conclusion you are either being
> sarcastic or at least insincere with your supposed statement of
> appreciation.
>
> I would still personally recommend you use "Avira AntiVir" or "eSet NOD32"
> (AntiVirus only) as your antivirus product and the built-in Windows
> firewall (especially if you are behind a NAT device already) as well as
> either doing the occassional scan with "MalwareBytes" or purchasing
> "MalwareBytes" to actively protect you and your data alongside your chosen
> antivirus product.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Actually, a magazine review here in the UK gave MS Essentials a very good
write up. AVG and Avira did not do too well in their tests which used real
sites with known hacks to test the security products rather than the dubious
test viruses given to the tester by the suite makers themselves. MS
Essentials was on top for the ones in the free category.

For paid suites, Kaperski came on top as it caught everything they threw at
it and was a lot cheaper than the other ones that did as well with the
caught results.

I know that these articles can sometimes be taken with a pinch of salt, but
the fact that Avira came as low as it did would make me wonder if this
really was a good choice.

I am considering changing the one I use as a result, but want to check a bit
more first. I currently use CA Antivirus (which was not reviewed in their
article), Comodo firewall and numerous malware scanners.

This is not having a dig at anyone, just passing on information.

If anyone has legitimate knowledge why CA is a bad choice, with their
reasoning, I would be glad to hear it.

Thanks

Martin