From: Percival P. Cassidy on
I installed Win7Pro on this machine with the SATA Controller in IDE mode
and have been trying to get it going in AHCI mode: I've tried the
official Microsoft method -- change msahci Start to 0, reboot and change
BIOS setting from IDE to AHCI -- but it does not work. I get the colored
"blobs," but then the machine reboots almost immediately and just keeps
repeating that cycle until I change the BIOS setting again.

I wondered whether updating the drivers would help, but I can't get them
to update. The drivers on the CD that came with the mobo are later than
ones the Windows installer installed, and I have downloaded later ones
still from Asus, but Device Manager insists that I have the latest ones.

Any suggestions?

Perce
From: Percival P. Cassidy on
On 06/06/10 05:18 pm, andy wrote:

>> I installed Win7Pro on this machine with the SATA Controller in IDE mode
>> and have been trying to get it going in AHCI mode: I've tried the
>> official Microsoft method -- change msahci Start to 0, reboot and change
>> BIOS setting from IDE to AHCI -- but it does not work. I get the colored
>> "blobs," but then the machine reboots almost immediately and just keeps
>> repeating that cycle until I change the BIOS setting again.
>>
>> I wondered whether updating the drivers would help, but I can't get them
>> to update. The drivers on the CD that came with the mobo are later than
>> ones the Windows installer installed, and I have downloaded later ones
>> still from Asus, but Device Manager insists that I have the latest ones.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

> Set SATA1-4 to AHCI.
> Set SATA5-6 to IDE.
> Connect disk to SATA5.
> Boot to Windows.
> Install AHCI driver.
> Connect disk to SATA1.
> Boot to Windows.

Worked like a charm. Thanks.

However, I'm still wondering why it won't update the drivers.

Perce