From: Percival P. Cassidy on
I've tried the O.C. Tuner feature in the BIOS, but I don't see anything
happening: the machine boots into Windows 7, apparently as usual, and
then nothing else happens. Even if it can't improve on the default
settings, I would still expect it to tell me so.

Perce
From: Paul on
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> I've tried the O.C. Tuner feature in the BIOS, but I don't see anything
> happening: the machine boots into Windows 7, apparently as usual, and
> then nothing else happens. Even if it can't improve on the default
> settings, I would still expect it to tell me so.
>
> Perce

On support.asus.com.tw download link for your board, in the
BIOS history section, it says:

[ 1308 ]
----------------------
Improve Auto Tuning function.

I'd start by checking the BIOS release you're using. Maybe
the function actually works in 1308.

Personally, I'd be checking the results very carefully,
after the process is finished, with things like CPUZ, or
with Speedfan to check any monitored voltages or the like.
To do something like that automatically, the easiest way
is to just boost the hell out of the voltages (Vcore, Vdimm,
VNB, VSB, ect). Be careful what you wish for.

Part of tweaking by hand, is only using enough voltage for
stability (i.e. enough to pass four or eight hours of
Prime95). Real tweaking takes days.

Asus has the advantage, that they know what all the settings
do, so in principle, they can arrive at a set of test conditions
faster than a human can. But if the process only takes five
minutes to complete, then no stability test of much value has
been done. It's still up to you, to complete stability testing,
before accepting the results.

Paul
From: Percival P. Cassidy on
On 06/12/10 03:47 pm, Paul wrote:

>> I've tried the O.C. Tuner feature in the BIOS, but I don't see
>> anything happening: the machine boots into Windows 7, apparently as
>> usual, and then nothing else happens. Even if it can't improve on the
>> default settings, I would still expect it to tell me so.

> On support.asus.com.tw download link for your board, in the
> BIOS history section, it says:
>
> [ 1308 ]
> ----------------------
> Improve Auto Tuning function.
>
> I'd start by checking the BIOS release you're using. Maybe
> the function actually works in 1308.

I see that note, but there does not seem to be such a version available
for download from any of the Asus sites I checked -- USA, Germany or Taiwan.

> Personally, I'd be checking the results very carefully,
> after the process is finished, with things like CPUZ, or
> with Speedfan to check any monitored voltages or the like.
> To do something like that automatically, the easiest way
> is to just boost the hell out of the voltages (Vcore, Vdimm,
> VNB, VSB, ect). Be careful what you wish for.
>
> Part of tweaking by hand, is only using enough voltage for
> stability (i.e. enough to pass four or eight hours of
> Prime95). Real tweaking takes days.
>
> Asus has the advantage, that they know what all the settings
> do, so in principle, they can arrive at a set of test conditions
> faster than a human can. But if the process only takes five
> minutes to complete, then no stability test of much value has
> been done. It's still up to you, to complete stability testing,
> before accepting the results.

I went back into the BIOS and found a message about overclocking by
using CPU Level Up. I'm already using a 3.4GHz CPU and 7-8-7-24 timing,
so I don't think I'll bother trying to speed it up any more.

Perce