From: pete0085 on
This is a question regarding scanning with MBSA 2.0. It's having
difficulties preforming a complete scan on Windows XP machines and gives me
the result of incomplete scan.

The message says: Cannot contact windows update agent on target computer,
possibly due to firewall settings. Is there a way around this, is there a
port that needs to be opened up? Anyone have experience with this?
From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.0
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsa2/default.mspx

Read the Overview above. And the FAQS below:

MBSA 2.0 Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsa2/qa.mspx

Specifically: How to Correct Common Errors

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: pete0085 on
Any more info then that? I followed their procedures and opened up the
correct ports on the windows firewall and made the adjustments to the com+
reg settings and it sill gives me the same error message.

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
If Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer V.2.1 is installed, is the
latest Version of the Windows Update Agent installed ? -
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

Have you seen this ? -

A new version of the Windows Update offline scan file is available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926464

If you need further assistance, suggest you post to the MBSA newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer&cat=en_us_9299adb3-c1ba-4d3a-9587-569f947b7281&lang=en&cr=us

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: pete0085 on
Thanks, someone in the MBSA newsgroup was able to help me out. I couldn'
find any documentation in the MBSA about this, but had me add a program
exception to my firewall gpo, "%windir%\system32\dllhost.exe"

This solved the problem for whatever reason.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> If Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer V.2.1 is installed, is the
> latest Version of the Windows Update Agent installed ? -
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
>
> Have you seen this ? -
>
> A new version of the Windows Update offline scan file is available
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926464
>
> If you need further assistance, suggest you post to the MBSA newsgroup:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer&cat=en_us_9299adb3-c1ba-4d3a-9587-569f947b7281&lang=en&cr=us
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> pete0085 wrote:
>
> > Any more info then that? I followed their procedures and opened up the
> > correct ports on the windows firewall and made the adjustments to the com+
> > reg settings and it sill gives me the same error message.
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.0
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsa2/default.mspx
> >>
> >>Read the Overview above. And the FAQS below:
> >>
> >>MBSA 2.0 Frequently Asked Questions
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsa2/qa.mspx
> >>
> >>Specifically: How to Correct Common Errors
> >>

> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten

 |  Next  |  Last