From: Robert on
This is a software, hardware, and setup problem - so I cross posted it.

Hardware/Software/firmware/drivers:
------------------------------
Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition (MCE) w/all current updates, Pinnacle
PCTV 800i HD PCI card (coax cable from DirecTV satellite tuner), ATI Radeon
HD 3200 graphics card, AMD Athlon Dual Core processor 2.5 GHz, 1.75 GB RAM,
official (came in the MCE box) IR sensor and blaster. MCE has all current
updates. Current firmware and drivers are installed for the PCI TV card, the
motherboard, the processor, and the graphics card.

The Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility reports that "Cyberlink
Video/SP Decoder (PDVD8) v. 8.2.0.926 is set as "preferred," "MCE
compatible," and "MP10 Compatible." There are several others on the list,
but only this one is marked as "preferred."
------------------------------

FIRST, the MCE genuine IR Blaster is not detected during MCE "setup TV
signal." The error is "IR Hardware not detected." I can select the "try
again" button with the remote - so the remote and IR sensor work. I never
plugged in the blaster before, it's very simple and shouldn't be broken.

SECOND, when watching TV through Media Center, it plays 1 second, then
pauses 1/2 second, continuously at a regular frequency. Watching TV through
"TVCenter Pro," which came with the TV tuner card, works PERFECTLY.

This problem occurred a week ago, after I tried running MCE "setup TV
signal," after I switched from cable to DirecTV. ***After DirectTV was
installed, and *BEFORE* I ran MCE setup, MCE was playing TV from DirecTV
okay***. After DirecTV was installed I just went to channel 4, and it was
there, playing perfectly. Later that day I tried running MCE "setup TV
signal." I get to a point where it says "IR Hardware not detected" - and I
can't continue the setup. I tried the other IR blaster port, and I tried a
different USB port for the IR sensor. I've tried several times, including
after powering everything down and restarting the computer. Now (after
running "setup TV signal") when I go to channel 4, I get the pausing problem
(I tried setting the DirecTV box to channel 3 - I get the same problem).
After several failed attempts to run setup, I re-ran MC setup saying I had an
antenna (so it wouldn't need the IR Blaster), and setup completed. I still
get the pausing. When I use "TVCenter Pro" that came with the TV tuner card,
the TV plays perfectly (Media Center is not running).

Somehow, running MC setup broke MC. I also need to get the IR Blaster
detected, so I can use MC to change channels on the DirecTV box, so I can
record shows in one step. (I checked the listed drivers/firmware for
updates. There aren't any. I last updated them this past October when I
had a different problem.)

Thanks for any help.

From: Robert on
Update. I tried recording TV with MC, and it records the pauses. I tried
all the other decoders in the "checkup utility" (above), and I still get the
pausing, although with a couple of them (non MCE compatible decoders) the
pausing is slightly different.

From: Jaime on
Robert,

Just for grins, have you tried using the nVidia Pure Platinum decoder? It
the one most people felt was the best for the XP version of MC. You can
download and try it for 30 days for free ($20 after that).

It would at least eliminate the possibility (however small) of it being a
decoder issue. If you have the discs for the other MC decoder you have,
probably best to remove those, then install Pure Platinum, sometimes
multiple decoder can cause issues.
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida

From: Robert on
Are you under the impression that my Pinnacle PCTV card or the ATI Radeon
card use the NVIDIA GeForce graphics chip?? According to the websites I just
visited they don't. The website for the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder Platinum
says the system requirements include NVIDIA GeForce graphics chips (5
different ones).

From: Curious on
Well that's in Error, the Nvida XP pure video decoder $20 version (I am not
sure if that is the Platinum version) the most recommended decoder for both
ATI and Neidia chips .