From: MoiMeme on
Hi

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo

my sata1 hd dies.

I want to replace it with new 1TB model, but all are sata2 : is this a
problem ?

THANKS !!!

From: SC Tom on

"MoiMeme" <antispam(a)no.spam> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo
>
> my sata1 hd dies.
>
> I want to replace it with new 1TB model, but all are sata2 : is this a
> problem ?
>
> THANKS !!!

If there is a jumper on the SATA2 HDD, it will be compatible with a SATA1
controller. My 200GB Seagate was like that. If there is no jumper to make it
backwards compatible, odds are it won't work.
--
SC Tom

From: Jerry on
SATA1 transfer rate = 150Mb/s
SATA2 transfer rate = 300MB/s

The drive needs a jumper to make the changes and/or your SATA controller
(card/motherboard) must support both as the situation requires.

From: Paul on
MoiMeme wrote:
> Hi
>
> Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo
>
> my sata1 hd dies.
>
> I want to replace it with new 1TB model, but all are sata2 : is this a
> problem ?
>
> THANKS !!!

SATA II is designed to be backward compatible with SATA I.

What is supposed to happen, is a SATA II 300MB/sec drive should
automatically adjust to the 150MB/sec limitation of a SATA I port.
SATA II drives run at both 150MB/sec and 300MB/sec.

(See "SATA II misnomer" here, to see why I should not have worded
the previous paragraph the way I did. It implies SATA II = 300MB/sec
which may not always be true.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata#SATA_II_misnomer

In cases where that does not work properly (mainly VIA chipsets), you
can use the Force150 jumper on the back of the drive. A Seagate drive
has a Force150 jumper. A Hitachi hard drive, relies on setting the
parameter through software, which is not nearly as convenient.
(You need a SATA II motherboard, to guarantee you can access a Hitachi
drive and set it to SATA I.)

(For the warning with respect to VIA chipsets, see Figure 7 in this document.)

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/documentation/installation_guides/diamondmax20_and_21_installation_guide_sata_en.pdf

The hardest part of doing that, is finding the jumper :-) One
Seagate I bought, came with a jumper plug available on the back.
On a second similar drive, the jumper plug was missing. Which means
I don't have all the jumpers I need.

I think it will be safe to buy a new drive.

Your motherboard has two ICH5R SATA ports operating at 150MB/sec
and a Promise PCD20378 with similar SATA ports. I haven't heard any
tales of problems, but you could always Google for more info.

HTH,
Paul