From: Nicolas Neuss on
Madhu <enometh(a)meer.net> writes:

> * mdj <657fcb38-d988-4ed9-8e13-4b079a44c3dc(a)c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com> :
> | On Jan 22, 1:57�pm, Madhu <enom...(a)meer.net> wrote:

Children, please stop playing on comp.lang.lisp.

You probably do not disturb us regulars too much, because every one has
either killfiled both of you (or lowered both your scores appropriately
as I did), but it could give a bad impression for newbies.

Nicolas
From: David Thole (TheDarkTrumpet) on
On Jan 22, 5:05 am, Nicolas Neuss <lastn...(a)math.uni-karlsruhe.de>
wrote:
> Madhu <enom...(a)meer.net> writes:
> > * mdj <657fcb38-d988-4ed9-8e13-4b079a44c...(a)c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com> :
> > | On Jan 22, 1:57 pm, Madhu <enom...(a)meer.net> wrote:
>
> Children, please stop playing on comp.lang.lisp.
>
> You probably do not disturb us regulars too much, because every one has
> either killfiled both of you (or lowered both your scores appropriately
> as I did), but it could give a bad impression for newbies.
>
> Nicolas

Hey Nicolas,

This is a bit off topic - but are you using google groups to view
c.l.l? Reason I'm asking is how you're setting certain people to
ignore - or rating them down. I know through google groups, we can
rate posts down a bit, but I haven't seen much really help from that.

Thanks,

David
From: Madhu on

* "David Thole (TheDarkTrumpet)" Wrote on Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:25:09 -0800 (PST):

| On Jan 22, 5:05 am, Nicolas Neuss <lastn...(a)math.uni-karlsruhe.de>
|>
|> You probably do not disturb us regulars too much, because every one
|> has either killfiled both of you (or lowered both your scores
|> appropriately as I did), but it could give a bad impression for
|> newbies.

As I said in <News:m3hbsrzxr5.fsf(a)moon.robolove.meer.net> on Nov 18 2009
"I'd expect the majority of readers killfiled me when this started", but
it will recur for reasons I outlined in the part Nicolas snipped out.

| This is a bit off topic - but are you using google groups to view
| c.l.l? Reason I'm asking is how you're setting certain people to
| ignore - or rating them down. I know through google groups, we can
| rate posts down a bit, but I haven't seen much really help from that.

Most regulars use "real" NNTP News readers, which support scoring and
killfiles. I use eternal-september.org, aioe.org is another free service
and are servers.

I believe Those who use google are stuck with stuff like
www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

--
Madhu
From: Nicolas Neuss on
Madhu <enometh(a)meer.net> writes:

> | This is a bit off topic - but are you using google groups to view
> | c.l.l? Reason I'm asking is how you're setting certain people to
> | ignore - or rating them down. I know through google groups, we can
> | rate posts down a bit, but I haven't seen much really help from that.
>
> Most regulars use "real" NNTP News readers, which support scoring and
> killfiles. I use eternal-september.org, aioe.org is another free service
> and are servers.
>
> I believe Those who use google are stuck with stuff like
> www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

Only for completeness: I am using the newsfeed from my university
together with Emacs/Gnus. For lowering the score of some poster I
usually press "Laep" (Lower author exact-match permanent). Then the
subject lines for articles by this author are dimmed and I only read
them if I really want to. For increasing the score if the value of
someone's post is high I do "Iaep" (Increase ...). Then the subject
lines of posts by that author appear in bold. Maybe there are
better/easier ways.

Nicolas